Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team lost at home by a score of 5-0 Monday evening against Western Connecticut State University in non-conference play at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Western Conn. St. 5 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-4-3) | Western Conn. St. (7-2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Western Connecticut opened the scoring at the 34th minute as Matthew Restrepo converted on a feed from Robert Della Penna for his first goal of the season, putting the visitors up 1-0.
In the second half, the Colonials blew the game open with three goals, including a pair from Penna, in the first 10 minutes, extending the visitors' lead to 4-0. Western Connecticut closed out the scoring in the 68th minute as Vinicius Santana broke through the defense for his first of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Colonials outshot the Falcons, 31-4, as well as held the advantage in corner kicks 8-3.
- Both Albertus and Western recorded 13 fouls a piece.
- Penna paced the visitors' offense with a team-high two goals and an assist.
- Penna also led the team with seven shots.
- Freshman Marcus Anyafulu (West Haven, Conn.) tallied a team-best two shots.
- Freshmen Emmanuel Yeboah (Hamden, Conn.) and Jason Montiero (Ansonia, Conn.) added a shot a piece for the Falcons.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus – Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) (L, 2-4-3): 14 Shots on Goal | 5 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 90 Minutes
- Western Conn. St. – Luca DiCarlo (W, 3-2): 0 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 45 Minutes
- Western Conn. St. – Daniel Szabo: 3 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 45 Minutes
The men's soccer team resumes GNAC play on Wednesday, October 3 as the Falcons host Suffolk University. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. at Celentano Field. Western Conn. St. also plays on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at home against John Jay.