Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team lost by a score of 10-0 to #6/10 Saint Joseph's College of Maine Saturday evening at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL: Saint Joseph's College 10 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-5-4, 3-2-4) | Saint Joseph's College (Me.) (14-0, 10-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first 27 minutes of play, it was a defensive battle between Albertus and Saint Joseph's. The Monks broke the scoreless tie at 27:50 as Rory Twomey scored off a penalty kick following a Falcons' foul.
Saint Joseph's College closed out the first with a 2-0 lead after Jesse Ramirez scored his first of the game on a converted pass from Kuma Onyejose.
Albertus was unable to stop the Monks in the second as the visitors put the game out of reach scoring eight goals, including a pair from Brett Mattos and Jonathan Brackett, to seal the road win, 10-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Saint Joseph's College outshot Albertus, 39-6.
- The Monks also held the advantage in corner kicks, 15-4.
- Jonathan Beaucejour (Wallingford, Conn.) and Matt Cotto (Stratford, Conn.) led the Falcons' attack with two shots and a shot on goal.
- Mattos, Brackett and Ramirez recorded a team-high two goals apiece for the Monks.
- Saint Joseph's Cody Elliott and Kuma Onyejose each posted two assists on the evening.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus – Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) (L, 4-5-4): 29 Shots on Goal | 10 Goals-Against | 19 Saves | 90 Minutes
- Saint Joseph's (Me.) – Blake Mullen (W, 12-0): 1 Shot on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 1 Save | 79:15 Minutes
The men's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 17 as the Falcons host league newcomer the University of Saint Joseph's (Conn.). Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. at Celentano Field.