East Boston, Mass. - Junior Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored the game-winning goal on a penalty kick at the 106th-minute to lift the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team over hosting Suffolk University, 2-1, in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action. Oumorou's game-winner was his sixth of the season and helped the Falcons advance to 4-1 on the season.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 2 | Suffolk 1 (2OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-1, 1-0 GNAC) | Suffolk (1-2-1, 0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first half, Albertus put the first mark on the board just 40-seconds into the second stanza. Albertus was battling in its offensive zone when sophomore Peter Rivera (Norwalk, Conn.) headed in a cross from Michael Lanouette (Hamden, Conn.) from the right side of the field.
Suffolk evened the playing field a minute later as Sunjoon Tenorio drilled the ball from outside the 18-yard box, scoring his second of the season.
As time continued to tick down both teams put pressure on the goalies, but neither keepers would let up to force the extra session.
In the first overtime, Suffolk had two prime opportunities for the golden goal, but both shots were off the mark. Despite not getting a shot off on offense, the Falcons' defense stepped up and held their ground keeping the score equalized at one.
Oumorou put away the game-winner with exactly 5:37 subtracted from extra time. A Suffolk defender drew the foul forcing a penalty kick for the Falcons' midfielder. Oumorou managed to put the ball away to secure the road win for the Falcons.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) (W, 1-0) -10 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 9 Saves
- Suffolk:Tom Bennett (L, 1-2-1) - 7 Shots on Goal | 2 Goals-Against | 5 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Falcons won the advantage in corner kicks, 6-3, but was outshot by the Rams, 28-20.
- Along with his goal, Oumourou finished with a team-high eight shots while teammate Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) chipped in with four.
- Suffolk had 22 fouls on the afternoon compared to Falcons' 14.
- Tenorio registered eight of the Rams' 28 shot attempts.
- With the win, Albertus improves to 20-8-1 against Suffolk in the all-time series.
- This is the Falcons third straight win against the Rams.
- Oumorou currently leads the GNAC, along with Anna Maria's Hezekiah Adeyeye, with 15 points as well as ranks second with six goals.
- Rivera's tally at the 46th-minute was his first of the season.
The men's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 18 with a non-conference road tilt against Elms College. Kick-off is set for 7:00PM in Chicopee, Mass.