NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored his Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) leading 10th goal tonight, but it proved to not be enough in Albertus Magnus College men's soccer's 3-1 home setback to The Sage Colleges on Wednesday.
FINAL: Sage 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-4-1) | Sage (6-4-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Gators took a 1-0 lead after 4:47 with a goal from Jeaneste Pierre. Pierre gathered a deflection in the box and scored to the top right corner.
Sage took a 2-0 lead in the 30th minute with a goal by Kevin Winglosky. The second goal of the day was similar to the first, as Winglosky collected an Andy Acevedo pass on the right side of the box, burying the ball into the top-right corner.
The Falcons cut the deficit in half, 2-1, in the 63rd minute. With the possession of the ball in Albertus' third of the field, John Iannucci-Berger (Oakville, Conn.) lofted a pass over a defender into the box, where Oumorou snuck the ball past the opposing keeper.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Gators answered just over seven minutes later to secure the game. Pierre recorded his second goal of the contest in the 70th minute to clinch it.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus: Garfield Robinson (L, 2-2) - 8 Shots on Goal | 2 Goals-Against | 6 Saves |45:00
Jared Brennan - 4 Shots on Goal | 1 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 45:00
Sage: Lucas Bourdeau (W, 6-4) - 5 Shots on Goal | 1 Goals-Against | 4 Saves |90:00
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Albertus led Sage in corner kicks (5-2), while the Gators owned the advantage in shots (16-12).
• Pierre led all players with four points and two goals.
• Oumorou paced all players with four shots, while Pierre and Griffin Goodemote led the way with three shots on goal each.
• Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) and Jared Brennan (North Haven, Conn.) both appeared in goal for Albertus, with the duo combining to make 10 saves.
• The Falcons finished the game with a pair of yellow cards on 16 fouls, while the Gators were penalized with one yellow on nine infractions.
• Albertus and Sage had not met before today's bout.
• After tonight, Oumorou took sole possession of first place on the GNAC's goal leaderboard with 10 this season.
• With 23 points on the year, Oumorou also paces the conference in that category.
• Oumorou has tallied three goals in his last two matches.
• Iannucci-Berger's assist tonight is the second of both his season and career.
The men's soccer team continues its four-game homestand on Saturday, Oct. 5, when it will host Rivier University at 1 p.m. at Celentano Field.