New Haven, Conn. - Junior Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) broke the scoreless tie in the 87th minute to propel the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team past Rivier University, 1-0, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) showdown on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 1 | Rivier 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-4-1, 3-1) | Rivier (1-10-1, 0-5 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
With the score knotted at zero at the break, Albertus came out with vengeance outshooting Rivier, 7-2, before Aremu broke through the defense scoring the eventual game-winner in the second stanza. Aremu connected on a through ball from Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) and kicked it directly into the back corner of the net for his fifth goal of the season.
The Falcons' backline, along with rookie keeper Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) kept the potent Raiders' attack off the scoreboard to secure the home win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Garfield Robinson (W, 3-2-1) - 4 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 3 Saves
- Rivier: Colllin Deyarmin (L, 1-10) - 4 Shots on Goal | 1 Goals-Against | 4 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus held the lead in shots (13-6), corner kicks (5-2) and shots on goal (5-4).
- Kelvin Cortez led the Raiders with three shot attempts while James DiGiovanni, Pedro Lopez and Fred Kazalski tallied a shot each.
- Along with his assist, Oumorou finished with four shots and a shot on goal.
- Aremu's was able to find the back of the net on his second shot attempt of the game.
- This is the Falcons' third straight win against the Raiders.
- Albertus improves to 20-5-3 against Rivier in the all-time series.
- The Falcons earned their fifth shutout of the season.
- Oumorou continues to lead the GNAC in points with 24, following today's assist, and is now tied in third in assists with four.
The men's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 9 with a conference showdown against Regis (Mass.) College. Game time is set for 7:30 PM at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn.