Albertus Magnus College
Men's Soccer GNAC Preview
Albertus Magnus (9-8-1)
University of Saint Joseph (CT) (11-5-1)
Saturday, Nov. 2nd • 2:30 pm • West Hartford, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team has earned the fifth seed for the upcoming 2019 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Soccer Tournament and will face the fourth-seeded Blue Jays of the University of Saint Joseph (CT) in the first round on Saturday, November 2nd. Kick-off is slated for 2:30 PM in West Hartford, Conn.
- This is the Falcons' 23rd GNAC postseason appearance.
- Albertus has an all-time postseason record of 16-20-4.
- This will be the first time ever that Albertus and USJ will face off in the playoffs.
- Prior to the season starting, Albertus was picked to finish eighth in the GNAC preseason poll.
- Started the year 4-1, including three straight shutouts of Maine-Farmington, Nichols College, and Dean College.
- Defeated Suffolk University 2-1 in double overtime to earn their first conference victory of the season on September 14th.
- Earned three straight conference victories from September 28th through October 9th, including a 4-0 stomping of Lasell, a 5-1 defeat of Regis, and a 1-0 nail-biter over Rivier.
- Finished October with a 4-5 record, with all four wins coming against conference rivals.
- Scored a season-high eight goals in a win over Anna Maria on October 26th.
GNAC Tournament Schedule
Quarterfinals - Saturday, November 2 (at high seeds)
Match 1: #8 Lasell at #1 JWU - 1:00 PM
Match 2: #5 Albertus Magnus at #4 USJ - 2:30 PM
Match 3: #6 Colby-Sawyer at #3 Norwich - 1:00 PM
Match 4: #7 Emmanuel at #2 Saint Joseph's Maine - 3:00 PM
Semifinals - Wednesday, November 6 (at high seeds)
Match 5: #4/5 winner vs. #1/8 winner
Match 6: #3/6 winner vs. #2/7 winner
Championship - Saturday, November 9
Match 7: At highest remaining seed
This Year vs. USJ
- This year, the Falcons are 0-1 against USJ.
Game (10/30/2019) Saint Joseph (CT) 6 | Albertus Magnus 2 - BOX SCORE
Quick Highlight: Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) scored his eighth goal of the season while Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) netted his 21st of the season.
Scouting Saint Joseph (CT)
- Goals Per Game: 3.00 GPG
- Shots Per Game: 16.8 SPG
- Goals-Against Average: 1.27 GAA
- Save Percentage: 71.8
Saint Joseph (CT) Player Highlight
- DeAnte Anderson is second in the GNAC with 17 goals. He is also second in the league with 38 points.
- Mergim Kutlovci also serves as an offensive threat for the Blue Jays as the rookie ranks second on the team in points with 22, behind 10 goals and two assists.
- Blue Jay keeper John Griffin is 13th in the GNAC with 41 saves.
Scouting Albertus Magnus
- Goals Per Game: 2.39 GPG
- Shots Per Game: 13.6 SPG
- Goals-Against Average: 1.73 GAA
- Save Percentage: 75.2
Albertus Magnus Player Highlight
- Oumorou leads the GNAC with 21 goals. He is fourth in the conference with six assists. He also leads the GNAC in points with 48 and shots with 91.
- Albertus keeper Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) is fourth in the GNAC with 69 saves. He also has three shutouts on the season.
- Garfield also has a 1.97 goals-against average and a 73.4 save percentage.