CONFERENCE PLAY BEGINS
The Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team looks to go 2-0 as the Falcons welcome GNAC opponent Emmanuel (Mass.) College to "The Nest" for a Saturday afternoon showdown beginning at 3:15 p.m.
ALL-TIME VS. EMMANUEL
Emmanuel leads Albertus in the all-time series, 15-0.
- The Saints notch their first win of the year after defeating Dean College, 3-0, last night.
- Following last night's win, Emmanuel improves to 1-4 overall.
- Sophomore Erik English leads the team with 39 kills while averaging 2.44 kills per set.
- As a team, the Saint are hitting a combined .146 at the net as well as averages 8.56 kills per set compared their opponents who average 9.69.
THURSDAY NIGHT RECAP
- Freshman Felix Rivas (Danbury, Conn.) recorded a team-high 13 kills as the Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team swept Medgar Evers, 3-0.
- Freshman Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.) finished the matched with a team-high seven service aces as well as collected 10 kills, an assist and six digs.
- At the net, Albertus Magnus hit a combined .260 while Medgar Evers hit -.162.
- Sophomore Alijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) assisted 26 of the Falcons' 32 kills.
- Senior Christopher Taylor (Bronx, N.Y.) posted a team-high eight digs.
FALCONS TABBED EIGHTH IN PRESEASON POLL
The men's volleyball team was picked to finish eighth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll. The Falcons earned eight points to finish just 11 points back from Mount Ida for seventh. Wentworth received six of a possible eight first-place votes for 62 points to land in the top spot of the poll.
KWOK NAMED MEN'S VOLLEYBALL COACH
Albertus Magnus College Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis has announced the hiring of Nelson Kwok as the Head Coach of the men's volleyball team. Kwok becomes the fourth coach in the program's young history.
Kwok has been around volleyball at the collegiate level since 2008 and he most recently served as the head coach at Mount Saint Vincent. Kwok led the Dolphins to a pair of Skyline Conference Tournament appearances and saw four players earn all-conference accolades. He had a 31-21 overall record and an 18-10 mark in league contests while at CMSV.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons finished the 2016 season with a 5-16 overall record and landed in eighth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) with a 0-14 mark in league matches.
- Albertus Magnus netted non-conference victories against Brooklyn College, CCNY, York College and two versus Medgar Evers.
- All five of the AMC triumphs this year came against opponents from the Empire State.
The Falcons return to action next week against CCNY.