Albertus Magnus College
Men's Volleyball Weekly Preview
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team looks to improve to 3-4 on the season as the Falcons resume GNAC play and host Mount Ida College on Thursday evening at 7 p.m.
ALL-TIME VS. MOUNT IDA
Mount Ida holds a 7-6 edge over Albertus Magnus in the all-time series.
LAST YEAR VS. MOUNT IDA
MATCH 1: Mount Ida 3 | Albertus Magnus 1 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
SET SCORES: 25-22 (MIC), 25-17 (MIC), 25-21 (AMC) and 25-21 (MIC)
HIGHLIGHT: The Falcons saw their four-game winning streak come to an end with the setback. Justin Tharau (Burlington, Conn.) paced the Falcons with a double-double, notching 14 kills and collecting 12 digs.
MATCH 2: Mount Ida 3 | Albertus Magnus 1 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
SET SCORES: 31-29 (MIC), 25-20 (AMC), 25-20 (MIC) and 25-15 (MIC)
HIGHLIGHT: As a team, Albertus Magnus had 35 kills, 30 assists, 43 digs and six blocks. Leading the charge for the Falcons offensively was senior outside hitter Justin Tharau (Burlington, Conn.) with 16 kills, while junior middle hitter Josh Turner (Trumbull,Conn.) added nine of his own.
BACK ON FEB. 21ST
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 3 | Medgar Evers 1 – BOX SCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-4) | Medgar Evers (0-7)
SET SCORES: 25-16 (AMC), 25-14 (MEC), 25-13 (AMC) and 25-19 (AMC)
- Albertus Magnus Stat Line: 5.89 k/set | 4.74 a/set | 8.89 d/set | .053 hitting percentage
- Felix Rivas (Danbury, Conn.) leads offensive attack averaging 2.11 kills per set.
- Sophomore Alijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) averages 4.42 assists per set, while Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.) records 2.21 digs per set.
FALCONS TABBED EIGHTH IN PRESEASON POLL
The men's volleyball team was picked to finish eighth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll. The Falcons earned eight points to finish just 11 points back from Mount Ida for seventh. Wentworth received six of a possible eight first-place votes for 62 points to land in the top spot of the poll.
KWOK NAMED MEN'S VOLLEYBALL COACH
Albertus Magnus College Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis has announced the hiring of Nelson Kwok as the Head Coach of the men's volleyball team. Kwok becomes the fourth coach in the program's young history.
Kwok has been around volleyball at the collegiate level since 2008 and he most recently served as the head coach at Mount Saint Vincent. Kwok led the Dolphins to a pair of Skyline Conference Tournament appearances and saw four players earn all-conference accolades. He had a 31-21 overall record and an 18-10 mark in league contests while at CMSV.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons finished the 2016 season with a 5-16 overall record and landed in eighth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) with a 0-14 mark in league matches.
- Albertus Magnus netted non-conference victories against Brooklyn College, CCNY, York College and two versus Medgar Evers.
- All five of the AMC triumphs this year came against opponents from the Empire State.
The Falcons return to action on Thursday, March 2 against Mount Ida.