Boston, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team ended the 2017 regular season with a pair of losses to Rivier and Emerson in a Great Northeast Athletics Conference (GNAC) tri-match on Saturday afternoon. The Raiders netted a 3-0 triumph versus the Falcons in match one and the Lions blanked Albertus Magnus, 3-0, in the finale.
With the two setbacks, Albertus Magnus ends the year with a 2-17 overall march and a 0-14 mark in conference play. The Falcons only two wins of the season came against Medgar Evers, 3-0 and 3-1.
MATCH 1: Rivier 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-16, 0-13) | Rivier (20-12, 11-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier took the first two sets from the Falcons by a score of 25-11 before securing the final set and match 25-13.
- Freshman Felix Rivas (Danbury, Conn.) led the Falcons with a team-high seven kills and two digs while Joshua Turner (Trumbull, Conn.) added four kills, four blocks and a dig.
- Rivier was led by David Smith who posted a team-high 10 kills, two assists, three service aces, eight gis and a block assist.
- The Falcons finished match one with 13 kills, 13 assists, three service aces, 16 digs and five blocks.
- Rivier posted a stat line of 33 kills, 36 assists, 13 service aces, 31 digs and 10 blocks.
MATCH 2: Emerson 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-17, 0-14) | Emerson (13-12, 6-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Emerson took control early opening set one with a 21-7 lead before the Falcons went on a short spurt to cut the lead to 24-13. However, the Lions secured set one, 25-13, following a service error by the Falcons.
It was a quick second set as the Falcons fell 25-7.
Both teams battled in the third and final set as Albertus Magnus threaten Emerson, 15-12, following a kill from Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.). But, a kill from Brendan Lynch would spark a 6-0 run to push the hosts lead to 10, 22-12, before the Lions ended the match with a 3-2 run.
- Rivas led the visitors in match two with a team-high six kills, two service aces and eight digs while Reyes added four kills.
- Sophomore Alijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) assisted 12 of the Falcons' 13 kills while senior Christopher Taylor (Bronx, N.Y.) collected the final assist.
- Win Kittivatcharapong led Emerson with 10 kills, a serive ace and a block assist.
- Albertus Magnus posted a stat line of 13 kills, 12 assists, two service aces, 24 digs and three blocks.
- Emerson finished with 34 kills, 30 assists, seven service aces, 34 digs and three blocks.