Last Week: The Albertus Magnus College softball team went 3-1 last week, splitting a non-conference doubleheader at home versus Mount St. Vincent before sweeping Saint Joseph's (Maine) in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action over the weekend on the road. After dropping the opener against the Dolphins, Albertus Magnus ended the week with three straight wins. It's the team's third three-game winning streak already this spring. The Falcons enter the week with an 11-3 overall record and a 2-0 mark in league games. In the doubleheader sweep of the Monks, AMC pitchers Kristen Cunning and Megan Ferraro kept the hosts off the board while scattering just 11 hits.
This Week: The Falcons will host league foe Lasell in a doubleheader on Saturday with first pitch in game one slated for noon.
Albertus Magnus (11-3, 2-0) vs. Lasell (3-7, 0-0)
Saturday, April 9, doubleheader beginning at noon
New Haven, Conn.
Video: Both games click here
Last Spring Against the Lasers: Albertus Magnus swept a doubleheader with Lasell in Boston last spring. The Falcons took the opener, 7-4, and won 11-2 in five innings in the nightcap. In game one, McGinty had two RBIs and Melissa Castillo added a solo homer for AMC, while Ferraro tossed four scoreless innings in relief for the win. In the finale, Castillo drove in three runs and Samantha Maselli did not allowed an earned run in the circle.
- Ferraro was named the GNAC Pitcher of the Week on Monday by the league office. She went 2-0 with a save and an impressive 0.47 earned run average. On the week, she allowed just one earned run in 15 innings and is currently in the midst of an 11-inning scoreless streak. Ferraro tossed a pair of complete games, highlighted by tossing a five-hit shutout against Saint Joseph's (Maine) in conference play. She also worked a perfected seventh inning versus the Monks in the conference opener to earn her first save of the season.
- Cunning went 1-1 for the Falcons in the circle last week. In her first career GNAC start, Cunning tossed six shutout innings to earn the win versus Saint Joseph's (Maine). Cunning scattered five hits and struck out one batter, while retiring the side in order in the fourth inning and the defense helped her out with a double play in the home half of the fifth.
- At the dish last week, shortstop Brianna Whitfield hit .417 with an impressive .537 on-base percentage to lead the Falcons to a 3-1 mark last week. The second-year lead-off hitter recorded two multi-hit games, scored six runs and racked up a .938 fielding percentage in 16 total chances.
- In the circle, AMC leads the conference with a team ERA of 2.03. On the year, Ferraro is 6-1 with a save and a 1.56 ERA, while Cunning is 4-1 with a 1.88 ERA. Ferraro has worked 45 innings, while Cunning has tossed 26 and a third innings.
- Offensively, four Albertus Magnus players are hitting above .340 led by Whitfield at .475. She leads the team in hits (19), runs scored (13), on-base percentage (.533), slugging percentage (.625) and is second on the squad with six RBIs. Sophomore outfielder Kirsten McGinty is enjoying a break-out year thanks to a .370 average and she is tied with classmate Gillian Fortier for the team lead with seven RBIs. Junior outfielder Megan Kelly is hitting .351 with a team-high eight stolen bases.
- In the field, the Falcons have committed 20 errors in 14 games. The team's .954 fielding percentage ranks second in the league behind Suffolk (.969).