New Haven, Conn. – Holding Anna Maria scoreless through 12 innings on Wednesday evening, the Albertus Magnus College softball team swept a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader against the AMCATS on Wednesday evening at Celentano Field. The Falcons rolled to a 10-0 mercy-rule victory in game one and a 7-0 win in the second game.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-5, 2-0) | Anna Maria (2-12, 0-4)
GAME 1: Albertus Magnus 10 | Anna Maria 0 (5 innings)
PITCHERS (G1): Winning Pitcher: Megan Ferraro – 5 IP | 3 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 5 SO | 0 BB
Losing Pitcher: Alexis Romano – 3.2 IP | 9 H | 9 R | 3 ER | 3 BB | 1 SO | 1 HR
HOW IT HAPPENED
(T) 2nd Inning – Freshman Morgan Shura (Wallingford, Conn.) put the Falcons on the board first as she allowed Daysia Wehder (Bronx, N.Y.) to score and moved Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) to third. However, the Falcons ended the inning leaving three runners on base following a groundout to short stop.
(T) 3rd Inning - Albertus Magnus extended its lead to six, 6-0, after the Falcons scored five runs on four hits and an AMCATS' error.
(T) 4th Inning - Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) led off the fourth inning with her first home run of the season before Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) recorded a RBI sacrifice fly that would bring home Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) making the score in favor of the Falcons,8-0. With two outs, runners on first and third, as well as a new pitcher on the mound, Wehder was able to score off off a passed ball before the final out was recorded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- For different Falcons registered a team-high two hits apiece while Daysia Wehder (Bronx, N.Y.) led the offensive unit with three runs scores.
- Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) and Megan Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) posted a team-high two RBI.
- The AMCATS finished game 3-of-17 at the plate while the Falcons went 12-of-26.
- Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) recorded her first home run of the season in the top of the fourth.
GAME 2: Albertus Magnus 7 | Anna Maria 0
PITCHERS (G2): Winning Pitcher: Megan Ferraro – 7 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Kaitlyn Moran – 7 IP | 11 H | 7 R | 1 ER | 5 BB | 1 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(T) 2nd Inning – After a scoreless first inning, Albertus Magnus struck first scoring six runs in the top of the second to take the early advantage. Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) started the inning with a walk before Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) singled to right field to put two runners on with no outs. Wehder scored the Falcons' first run of the game after advancing home on an error by the third basemen.Despite picking up two quick outs, Albertus Magnus continued to swing the bat as the next three batters singled allowing four runners to score. Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) allowed the final two runs of the inning to score after a nice double to right field.
(T) 5th Inning – The Falcons struck again in the top of the first as the visitors scored a run on three hits to secure the 7-0 win. Wehder recorded the RBI as she allowed Castillo to score off her sac fly to left field.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Four different players registered at least two hits in the Falcons while seven different players recorded a run scored.
- Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) recorded a team-high two RBI.
- Kayla Magierowski led the AMCATS with two hits while Kathryn Rendock and Jacqueline Lapierre added a hit apiece.
- Albertus Magnus finished game two with 11 hits and six RBI while Anna Maria recorded only four hits.
The Falcons return to action on this weekend against Norwich and Lasell.