New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team swept Rivier University in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Sunday afternoon at Celentano Field. The Falcons triumph in game one, 11-0, and came back to take the night cap, 5-1.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (24-10, 12-5) | Rivier University (10-20, 4-14)
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 11 | Rivier 0 (5 innings)
LOSING PITCHER: Taylor Thomas (1-3) – 0.0 IP | 5 H | 4 R| 3 ER
HOW IT HAPPENED
(B) 1ST INNING – Albertus Magnus started off the game hot, scoring four runs on six hits and a Raider error to take an early 4-0 lead. Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) allowed the first run of the day to score off a RBI triple to center before back-to-back RBI from Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) and Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) drove in the next three runs.
(B) 2ND INNING – The Falcons continued to swing the battle and added an extra three runs in the top of the second to take a commanding 7-0 lead. Whitfield scored the first run of the inning after she hit a deep ball to right field, sending Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) home. With one out and runners on first and second, Wehder cleared the bases before the final two outs were collected.
(B) 3rd INNING – An inning later, Albertus Magnus remained on top, tacking on four more runs to put the game away 11-0. With one out and bases loaded, Whitfield drove in Morgan Shura (Wallingford, Conn.) for the eighth run of the game after a sacrifice fly to center. Anderson continued the offensive attack, clearing the bases before Wehder connected for a two-run double to center.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Eight different players registered at least a hit for the Falcons while Daysia Wehder (Bronx, N.Y.) , Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) and Morgan Shura (Wallingford, Conn.) each recorded a perfect performance at the plate.
- The Falcons were 14-of-25 at the plate as well as recorded 10 RBI.
- Kasey Smith led the Raiders' offense with a 2-of-2 performance at the plate.
- Shayla Gladden (Springfield, Mass.) also made an appearance on the mound for the Falcons after coming in to relieve Ferraro in the top of the fifth. Gladden recorded a strikeout over five at bats.
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 5 | Rivier 1
WINNING PITCHER: Laura Anderson (10-3) - 7 IP | 4 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 1 BB | 6 SO
LOSING PITCHER: Kendall Stanton (4-6) - 4.2 IP | 11 H | 5 R | 4 ER | 2 SO
(T) 3RD INNING – After eight scoreless inning, Rivier scored its first run of the day to take a 1-0 edge over the Falcons.
(B) 4th / 5th INNING – Albertus Magnus broke its silence scoring three runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a two-point lead, 2-0, before the Falcons' offense scored two more in the bottom of the fifth to secure the win, 5-1.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Whitfield led the offense with a 3-of-4 performance at the plate as well as added a run scored.
- Rachel Cataudella (Shelton, Conn.), Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) and Megan Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) added two hits to the Falcons total count of 13.
- Rivier posted a four-hit performance as well as totalled six strikeouts and a walk.
- Four different players registered a hit for the visitors and Jessica Silva drove in the Raiders lone run of the game.
The Falcons return to action next week against Suffolk, Emmanuel and Saint Joseph's (Me.)