New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) games to Suffolk University on Thursday afternoon at Celentano Field. The Falcons lost game one 6-1 and fell short 9-3 in the night cap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Suffolk 6 | Albertus Magnus 1
WINNING PITCHER: Taylor Holmes (9-6) – 7 IP | 4 H | 1 R | 2 BB | 4 SO
LOSING PITCHER: Megan Ferraro (12-4) – 4 IP | 7 H | 5 R | 3 ER | 3 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(T) 2nd Inning – Suffolk jumped on the board first after a scoreless first inning as Delaney Sylvester hit a deep ball over the center field fence to put the visitors up 1-0.
(T) 4th Inning – The Rams extended their lead to four, 4-0, after scoring three runs on three hits and an error in the top of the fourth against Megan Ferraro (Branford, Conn.).
(T) 5th Inning – Jackie Flint got things started in the fifth for the visitors scoring the second home run of the game to extend the lead to 5-0. With one out and runners on, the Rams continued to swing the bat, tacking on an insurance run, 6-0, following an RBI from Madison Eucalitto with bases loaded.
(B) 6th Inning – Freshman Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) broke the Falcons' silence in the bottom of the sixth, scoring Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) from second base on an error by the second basemen. However, the Falcons' threat came to an end with a strikeout, leaving the runners on.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) also made an appearance on the mound for the Falcons. She posted six hits, a run scored and a walk.
- The Falcons were 4-of-27 at the plate with four strikeouts and two walks.
- Suffolk was 13-of-35 with three strikeouts and a walk.
- Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) led the hosts with a 2-of-3 performance at the plate as well as a tallied a run scored.
- Madison Eucalitto posted a team-high three hits for the Rams.
FINAL SCORE (G2): Suffolk 9 | Albertus Magnus 3
WINNING PITCHER: Ali Yamakaitis (8-8) – 7 IP | 7 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 2 BB | 2 SO
LOSING PITCHER: Laura Anderson (10-4) – 7 IP | 17 H | 9 R | 9 ER | 4 BB | 1 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(T) 1ST Inning – Suffolk opened the game with the early 2-0 lead following a three hit inning. With one down, the Rams scored their first run of the game off a wild pitch before a RBI single from Delaney Sylvester.
(B) 2nd Inning – Albertus Magnus answered back in the bottom of the second, tying the game at 2-2 thanks to a two-run RBI double from Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.). With two down and runners on, Fortier cleared the bases before the final out of the inning was collected.
(T) 5th Inning – Madison Eucalitto gave the hosts the 3-2 edge in the top of the fifth as she hit a deep ball to right field, sending Karina Miranda home for her first RBI of game two.
(T) 6th Inning – The Rams continued to swing the bat, scoring a run in the top of the sixth to extend double their lead 4-2.
(T) 7th Inning – Suffolk tacked on five more runs in the top of the seventh to push the lead 9-2.
(B) 7th Inning – Albertus Magnus rallied in the bottom of the seventh scoring, but was only able to score a run against the Rams' bullpen.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Castillo led the hosts in game two as well with three hits.
- Albertus Magnus was 7-of-28 with two walks and two strikeouts.
- Suffolk was 17-of-31 witn four walks and a strikeout.
- Jaclyn Flint and Delaney Sylvester paced the Rams with three hits a piece while Flint recorded a team-high three RBI.
The Falcons return to action on Saturday, April 29 at Emmanuel.