Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team split a doubleheader against Wesley and Sarah Lawrence on Wednesday at the NMB Park and Sports Complex Field in the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic. The Defenders cruised past the Falcons, 8-0, in five innings before defeating the Gryphons, 5-1, to end the day.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Wesley 8 | Albertus Magnus 0 (5 innings)
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 5 | Sarah Lawrence 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2) | Wesley (7-3) | Sarah Lawrence (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Welsey opened the scoring in the bottom of the first, notching a single-run to take the early edge before the Wolverines scored five runs on five hits to take a six-run lead heading into the third.
The Falcons threatened Wesley in the top of the fourth with runners in scoring position, but solid defense from the Wolverines ended the rally.
Wesley put the game away scoring an additional two runs in the bottom of the fourth to secure the shutout over the Falcons.
After three scoreless innings, Sarah Lawrence broke the silence scoring a run off a sacrifice bunt that led Taryn Penna home to give the Gryphons a 1-0 advantage.
An inning a half later, Albertus Magnus was able to put some runs on the board as the Falcons scored five runs on seven hits and a Gryphon error to take the lead, 5-1
Sarah Lawrence threatened the Falcons in the seventh, but the Gryphons were unable to start a rally, despite having two runners on.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
ON THE MOUND (Game 1):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (L, 1-1) – 2.0 IP | 7 H | 6 R | 5 ER | 1 BB | 0 SO | 0 HR
- Wesley: Dori Loukoloulos (W, 6-0) - 5.0 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 2 BB | 1 SO | 0 HR
AT THE PLATE (Game 1):
- Albertus Magnus went 4-of-17 at the plate, while Wesley went 11-of-23 with eight runs scored and seven RBI.
- Four different players registered a hit for the Falcons.
- A trio of players from Wesley recorded a two-hit performance.
- Wesley's Brandi Dalious paced the offense with a team-best three RBI and a run scored, while
- Megan DiRubbio and Ashley Royer posted two runs scored.
ON THE MOUNT (Game 2):
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (W, 1-0) - 7.0 IP | 2 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 2 BB | 1 SO | 0 HR
- Sarah Lawrence: Delaney Parker (L, 0-1) - 5.0 IP | 6 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 0 BB | 2 SO | 0 HR
AT THE PLATE (Game 2):
- Sarah Lawrence finished the game 2-of-22 at the plate.
- The Falcons went 10-of-29 and was led offensively by Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.), Jasmine Roman (East Haven, Conn.) and Fallon Speers (East Haven, Conn.) who all posted a team-high two hits and a RBI apiece.
- Five different players scored at least one run for the Falcons in the win.
The Falcons return to the mound tomorrow, March 15 as the team takes on Keystone and Sarah Lawrence.