Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team lost a pair of non-conference games and drops to 3-4 on the season as the Falcons fell to Keystone, 12-1, and Sarah Lawrence, 9-6, on Wednesday afternoon as part of the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Keystone 12 | Albertus Magnus 1 (5 innings)
FINAL SCORE (G2): Sarah Lawrence 9 | Albertus Magnus 6
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-4) | Keystone (1-9) | Sarah Lawrence (4-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Keystone controlled the first two and a half innings of play as the Giants opened game one with the quick 10-0 lead, behind a six-run inning in the third.
Albertus Magnus was only able to score a run a half inning later thanks to an RBi single from Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.).
The Giants would tack on two additional runs in the fourth before securing the 11-run win.
Sarah Lawrence came out of the gate swinging, scoring seven runs on seven hits and two Falcon errors to take the early advantage.
Two and a half innings later, seniors Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) and Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) got the Falcons on the board, cutting the lead to five, 7-2, but Baylie Petit pushed the Gryphons lead back up to six- 8-2, after allowing Taryn Penna to score on a RBI single.
Sophomore Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) answered back to Petit's RBI single with an RBI double, allowing Fortier to cross home in the sixth, but Sarah Lawrence countered back with a run in the bottom of the sixth making the score 9-3.
Albertus Magnus kept it interesting until the end, scoring three runs in the seventh to cut the deficit to three, but Sarah Lawrence prevented the comeback, getting the three outs it needed to preserve the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Megan Ferraro (L, 1-2) – 1.0 IP | 5 H | 4 R | 1 ER | 0 BB | 1 SO | 0 HR
- Keystone: Alyssa Hughes (W, 1-3) – 5.0 IP | 3H | 1 R | 0 ER | 3 BB | 2 SO | 0 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- The Giants belted out 14 hits, including two each by senior Kaylee Hartman, junior Ryleigh Fitch and sophomores Ashley Constable and Mariah Loughney.
- Five of Keystone's hits went for extra bases.
- Senior Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) led the Falcons' at the plate with two hits (2-of-2) while Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) posted the Falcons' third and final hit.
- Albertus Magnus finished game one 3-of-17 with a solo RBI from Castillo.
- Keyston went 14-of-30 at the plate with eight RBI, including three from Alyssa Hughes.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (L, 0-1) – 6.0 IP | 14 H | 9 R | 7 ER | 0 BB | 4 SO | 0 HR
- Sarah Lawrence: Mikayla Cunningham (W, 3-1) – 3.2 IP | 7 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 0 BB | 0 SO | 0 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Wehder recorded a major milestone in her collegiate career as the senior catcher collected her 100th hit off the double in the top of the seventh.
- Junior Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) tallied a team-best three hits and two RBI over four at bats while five Falcons added two hits apiece.
- Sarah Lawrence was led offensively by Tayrn Penna and Mackenzie Mindish who posted three hits each.
- Eight different players from Sarah Lawrence had an RBI.
- Albertus Magnus was 14-of-37 while Sarah Lawrence went 14-of-31.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on March 16th against Cazenovia and Franciscan.