Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team ended its 2018 spring break trip in the Palmetto State with two wins on Friday afternoon at the NMB Sports Complez in the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic. The Falcons bounced back from two straight losses with wins against Cazenovia and Franciscan.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 9 | Cazenovia 4
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 2 | Franciscan 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-4) | Cazenovia (3-5) | Franciscan (4-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
An inning and a half later, Cazenovia tied the game up at three, 3-3, after loading the bases with one out on the scoreboard. However, bats came alive for the Falcons in the top of the sixth as the team scored six runs, extending their lead to six, 9-3.
Cazenovia's rally in the bottom of the seventh was cut short as the Wildcats could only score one run before the final three outs were collected
With two outs and runners on first and third, senior Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) drove in the Falcons' first run of the game, in the top of the first, on a RBI single that drove in Fortier.
It was a defensive battle between Albertus Magnus and Franciscan as both teams were unable to score over the next three innings until the top of the fifth as senior Melissa Castillo (Taftville, N.Y.) drove in the Falcons final run of the game, thanks to an RBI single.
Franscican threatened the Falcons over the next two innings by having runners in scoring position, but the Falcons were able to get out of both jams to secure the final win of spring break.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Madison Letizia (W, 1-0) - 3 IP | 2 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 2 BB | 1 SO
- Cazenovia: Abigail House (L, 1-2) - 2 IP | 7 H | 6 R | 8 ER | 0 BB | 1 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Senior Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) led the Falcons' attack with a team-high four hits, two RBI and a run scored behind five at bats.
- Freshman Fallon Speers (East Haven, Conn.) also had an impressive day at the plate as the rookie went 3-of-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.
- Cazenovia's Lauren Kelleher finished the game 2-of-2 with a run scored and a RBI.
- Along with Speers, junior Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) recorded a team-best two runs scored as well as added two hits and a RBI to her stat line.
- Albertus Magnus finished game one 13-of-37 with seven RBI,
- Cazenovia finished 7-of-26 with four RBI.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (W, 2-1) - 7 IP | 3 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 2 BB | 7 SO
- Franciscan: Jayln Effertz (L, 0-1) - 7 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 4 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Four different players from Albertus Magnus registered a hit while Fortier recorded both the Falcons' runs.
- Cunning kept the Barons at Bay with only three hits over 23 at bats.
- Albertus Magnus went 4-of-24 at the plate.
- Seniors Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) and Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) posted the Falcons' two RBI of the afternoon.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Saturday, March 24th, with a road GNAC doubleheader against Mount Ida.