New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team swept a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader against Mount Ida Saturday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. The Falcons won the opener in extra innings, 3-2, and blanked the Mustangs, 3-0, in the finale.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 3 | Mount Ida 2 - (9 innings)
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 3 | Mount Ida 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-4, 2-0) | Mount Ida (2-8, 0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an offensive battle over the first four innings play as Albertus Magnus and Mount Ida traded runs and recorded two runs each, trying the game at 2-2 at the end of the fourth.
Albertus Magnus struck first in the top of the second scoring one run off three hits to take the early 1-0 edge.
Four innings later, the Falcons secured the doubleheader sweep scoring back-to-back runs in the top of the sixth and seventh thanks to RBI singles from Cunning and Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (W, 2-1) - 9 IP | 12 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 3 SO
- Mount Ida: Madeleine Smith (L, 0-4) - 9 IP | 10 H | 3 R | 1 ER | 2 BB | 2 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Senior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) and Cunning paced the Falcons' offense with a 2-of-4 showing while Cunning added an RBI to her stat line.
- Along with Cunning, Sanchez recorded the Falcons' second RBI of the day in the top of the ninth off the sacrifice fly.
- Alisa Benson and Hayley Microulis led the Mustangs with three hits a piece.
- Albertus Magnus was 10-of-32 at the plate with two RBI, a walk and two strikeouts.
- Mount Ida finished 12-of-39 at the plate with two RBI, three walks and three strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (W, 3-1) - 7 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 3 BB | 4 SO
- Following today's win, Cunning recorded her second shutout win of the season and threw her fourth complete game.
- Mount Ida: Carrigan Costello (L, 1-3) - 7 IP | 10 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 5 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Cunning, Wehder and Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) posted a 2-of-4 showing at the plate while Cunning and Wehder tallied an RBI and a run scored, respectively.
- Lindsay Finney and Kelsey Weston posted two hits a piece for the Mustangs.
- Albertus Magnus was 10-of-31 at home while Mount Ida was held to 4-of-22 with three walks and four strikeouts.
Albertus Magnus returns to the mound tomorrow, March 25th as the Falcons host Simmons College in a GNAC doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m. at the Shea Softball Complex.