New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team remains undefeated in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action as the Falcons swept Simmons College in a conference doubleheader on Sunday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. Albertus secured game one by a 7-4 edge before taking the nightcap in five innings, 9-1.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 7 | Simmons 4
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 9 | Simmons 1 (5 innings)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-4, 4-0) | Simmons (3-9, 1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Simmons struck first in game one, scoring a run in the top of the first and in the third to take a two-run lead until the bottom of the third as Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) drove in Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) for the Falcons' first run of the day, cutting the lead in half, 2-1.
Albertus Magnus continued to swing the bat as the Falcons took the lead, 5-2, after scoring four runs on three hits, including a home run from Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.), in the bottom of the fourth.
Simmons tacked on two runs in the bottom of the fifth, cutting the lead to within one, 5-4, but the Falcons sealed the win scoring an additional two runs in the bottom of the sixth, thanks to a two-run RBI double from Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.).
Albertus Magnus opened game two with the early lead behind a four-run inning in the bottom of the first.
An inning and a half later, Simmons managed to score a run to cut the lead to three, 4-1, but the Falcons secured the doubleheader sweep scoring a run in the fourth and four additional runs in the fifth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus - Megan Ferraro (W, 2-2): 4.0 IP | 8 H | 4 R | 4 ER | 1 BB | 2 SO
- Simmons - Juliet Nelson (L, 2-4): 6.0 IP 11 H | 7 R | 3 ER | 2 BB | 4 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- Fortier led the Falcons offensively with a 3-of-4 showing at the plate as well as scored two runs, two RBI.
- Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.), Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) and Esposito also was an impact for the Falcons on offense as the trio posted two hits a piece while Esposito drove in two runs.
- Lauren De Vacchio tallied a team-best three hits while Ivy Vann scored two of the Sharks' four runs.
- Albertus Magnus was 11-of-30 with seven RBI, two walks and four strikeouts.
- Simmons was 9-of-28 with four RBI, a walk and four strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus - Kristen Cunning (W, 4-1): 5.0 IP | 7 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 2 BB | 0 SO
- Simmons - Michaela Reeves (L, 0-1): 4.0 IP 8 H | 6 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 3 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Fortier recorded another three-hit performance to go along with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Molly Hennessey and Taylor LeBrun led the Sharks at the plate with two hits each.
- Along with Fortier, Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) drove in two runs as well as went 2-of-2 at the plate.
- Albertus Magnus finished game two 11-of-26 while Simmons went 7-of-20 at the plate.
- Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) also recorded a two-hit performance, including a pair of RBI.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Thursday, March 29th at New Jersey City.