Jersey City, N.J. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team swept New Jersey City in a non-conference doubleheader on Thursday afternoon at the Thomas M. Gerrity Athletics Complex. The Falcons blanked the Knights in the opener, 2-0, before securing the night cap, 5-4.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 2 | New Jersey City 0
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 5 | New Jersey City 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-4) | New Jersey City (4-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless two innings, Albertus Magnus broke the silence scoring a run in the top of the third on a passed ball that allowed Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) to cross home to give the Falcons' a 1-0 edge.
Two innings later, the Falcons saw their lead grow to two, 2-0, as Esposito scored again this time on a dropped fly ball by the right fielder. New Jersey City tried to get a rally going over the next three at bats, but was unsuccessful against the Falcons' bullpen and infield.
Over the first four and a half innings of play, Albertus Magnus scored a run in each, including a home run from Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) in the top of the first, to take a 4-0 run over the hosts until the bottom of the fourth as the Knights scored three runs on three hits and a Falcon error to cut the lead to within one, 4-3.
In the top of the sixth, Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) gave the Falcons a two-run lead, 5-3, after scoring from third. A half inning later, New Jersey City threatened the Falcons with runners in scoring position, but solid relief pitching from Megan Ferraro (Branford, Conn.) allowed the hosts to score a run before securing the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus – Laura Anderson (W, 3-1): 7 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 4 SO
- New Jersey City – Christina Mezey (L, 4-7): 7 IP | 5 H | 2 R | 0 ER | 3 BB | 6 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Senior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) led the Falcons in game two with two hits while sophomore Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) recorded both runs scored for the visitors.
- Gianna Benacquista paced the Knights offense with two hits.
- New Jersey City was 4-of-23 against the Falcons' bullpen.
- Albertus Magnus finished game one 5-of-26 at the plate with three walks and six strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus – Kristen Cunning (W, 5-1): 5.1 IP | 6 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 0 BB | 3 SO
- Albertus Magnus – Megan Ferraro (Sv, 1): 1.2 IP | 1 SO
- New Jersey City - Christina Mezey (L, 4-8): 7 IP | 11 H | 5 R | 2 ER | 7 BB | 2 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Dayanara Flores paced the Knights' offense with a team-best two hits and two runs scored.
- New Jersey City was 6-of-26 in game two as well as recorded four strikeouts.
- Albertus Magnus was led offensively by four different players who registered two hits each.
- The Falcons were 11-of-27 at the plate with seven walks, two strikeouts and left 10 runners on base.
- Five different players for Albertus Magnus registered a run scored.
The Falcons return to the mound on Saturday, March 31 with a home conference doubleheader against Lasell College. Game times are set for 12 and 2 p.m. at the Shea Softball Complex.