New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Lasell on Saturday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. The Falcons secured the opener, 8-2, behind two home runs from sophomore Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.), but came up short in the nightcap, 4-0.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 8 | Lasell 2
FINAL SCORE (G2): Lasell 4 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-5, 5-1) | Lasell (2-10, 1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lasell opened game one with a one-run lead in the top of the first before Albertus Magnus took over the lead, 2-1, after scoring two runs on a RBI double from Melissa Castillo (Taftville, N.Y.) in the bottom of the third.
The Lasers tied the game at 2-2 as an RBI single from Arianna Genovese drove in a run following a pitching change from the Falcons. A half inning later, Albertus Magnus sealed the opener, 8-2, after scoring four runs in the fifth, including back-to-back home runs from Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) and Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.), and two runs in the sixth thanks to a two-run homer from Anderson.
Lasell ended the Falcons nine-game winning streak after blanking the hosts in game two, 4-0. The host's only threat of the game came in the bottom of the third as Jasmine Roman (Hartford, Conn.) found herself in scoring position and was unable to cross home before the final out was collected.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus – Kristen Cunning (W, 6-1): 7 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 4 SO
- Lasell – Allie Borowsky (L, 0-4): 0.1 IP | 4 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 0 BB | 0 SO | 2 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- Castillo led the Falcons with a 3-for-4 performance with a run scored and two RBI.
- Along with her two home runs, Anderson recorded a team-best four RBI and three runs scored.
- Victoria Spellman paced the Lasers' offense with a game-high four hits and two runs scored.
- Arianna Genovese recorded Lasell's two RBI of the game.
- Albertus Magnus was 12-for-29 with seven RBI and one strikeout.
- Lasell finished game one 9-for-31 at the plate with six strikeouts.
- Anderson, Roman and Fallon Speers (East Haven, Conn.) added two hits each for the Falcons.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus – Laura Anderson (L, 3-2): 5.1 IP | 9 H | 4 R | 1 ER | 1 BB | 4 SO
- Lasell – Hailey Haskins (W, 2-3): 7 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 3 SO | 0 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Senior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) posted a team-best two hits for the Falcons while Cunning and Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) recorded a hit each for the hosts.
- A trio of players from Lasell recorded a team-high two hits.
- At the plater, Albertus Magnus went 4-of-26 with a walk and six strikeouts while Lasell finished 9-for-35 with six strikeouts and a walk.
- Lasell left 12 players on base compared to the Falcons who posted six.
The Falcons return to the mound next week against Mt. St. Vincent (DH-4/2), Anna Maria (DH-4/4), Rivier (DH-4/7) and Regis (Mass.) (DH-4/8)..