New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team dropped a pair of home contests to in-state foe Coast Guard on Tuesday afternoon in non-conference play at the Shea Softball Complex. The Bears took game one by a score of 9-2 before defeating the Falcons in five innings, 10-0, in the night cap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Coast Guard 9 | Albertus Magnus 2
FINAL SCORE (G2): Coast Guard 10 | Albertus Magnus 0 - 5 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (18-7) | Coast Guard (15-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Coast Guard opened game one scoring two runs in the top first to take the early lead before extending its lead to four, 4-0, after scoring another two in the top of the fourth.
Albertus Magnus broke the silence in the bottom of the fifth as freshman Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) drove in Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) on a RBI double to left, cutting the score to within three, 4-1.
An inning later, the Bears tacked on an additional three runs to move their lead two six, 7-1. Senior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) answered back scoring a single run in the bottom of the sixth, but it wasn't enough for a Falcon rally as the Bears scored two more runs in the seventh to seal the win, 9-2.
After two scoreless innings, Coast Guard came alive at the plate scoring two runs in the third and four runs in the fourth to take a commanding 6-0 lead.
Coast Guard scored an additional four runs in the top of the fifth to secure the doubleheader sweep, 10-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (L, 5-3) – 6.2 IP | 8 H | 7 R | 5 ER | 7 BB | 1 SO
- Coast Guard: Julia Ferris (W, 8-3) – 7.0 IP | 7 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 0 BB | 2 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Melissa Castillo (Taftville, N.Y.) and Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) posted a team-best two hits.
- Anderson and DeFoe recorded an RBI each for the Falcons.
- Emily Hogan and Carly Hattman paced the Bears' offense with two hits and a run scored while Hogan posted a game-high two RBI.
- Albertus Magnus was 7-of-27 at the plate with two RBI and two strikeouts.
- Coast Guard finished game one 10-of-31 with six RBI, eight walks and a strikeout.
On the Mound (G2)
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (L, 9-2) - 5 IP | 12 H | 10 R | 6 ER | 1 BB | 1 SO | 1 HR
- Coast Guard: Sydney Arendt (W, 7-2) - 5.0 IP | 5 H | 3 SO |
At the Plate (G2):
- Five different players registered at least a hit for the Falcons.
- Coast Guard finished the night cap 12-of-28 against the Falcons as well as recorded eight RBI, three walks and a strikeout.
- Emma Hvozdovich and Carly Hattman both went a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate while Hvozdovich finished with two runs scored and a team-best three RBI.
Albertus Magnus returns to the diamond this Saturday, April 14th with a home GNAC doubleheader against Johnson & Wales. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. at the Shea Softball Complex.