Myrtle Beach, S.C. - Over the last two days, the Albertus Magnus College softball team picked up two wins over Penn College and La Roche as well as lost to Medialle to put the Falcons at 3-2 on the season.
On Monday evening, the Falcons picked up a 12-6 win over Penn College. Senior Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) got the win for Albertus as she went five innings, allowing six runs on 12 hits and walking one.
On Tuesday, Albertus suffered a 6-4 setback against the Mavericks, but managed to bounce back and mercy La Roche in five innings, 8-0.
THE BASICS (Game 1)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 12 | Penn College 6
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-1) | Penn College (0-3)
ALL-TIME SERIES: This was the second meeting between the two programs. The Falcons remain undefeated against Penn College, 2-0.
KEY HIGHLIGHT (Game 1)
- Albertus came out swinging as the Falcons opened the game with the quick 8-0 lead, highlighted by a two-run homer from freshman Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) as well as an RBI double from Cunning.
- Penn College managed to cut the deficit to two, 8-6, after scoring six runs on six hits in the bottom of the second, but the Falcons score two runs in the fourth and two runs in the fifth, doubling their lead, 12-6.
- Solid defense as well as pitching from Albertus kept the Wildcats at bay for the remainder of the game to seal the win.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Along with Stettinger, Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.), Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) and Madison LaBossiere (Griswold, Conn.) posted a team-high two hits while Esposito, Anderson and LaBossiere drove in two runs apiece.
- Stettinger also finished the game with three RBI.
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) threw two innings in relief out of the bullpen for Albertus and earned her first collegiate save.
THE BASICS (Game 2)
FINAL: Medialle 6 | Albertus Magnus 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | Medialle (3-2)
ALL-TIME SERIES: This is the second meeting between the two teams. Following today's loss, the Mavericks even the all-time series record at 1-1.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
- Medialle struck first in the opening inning, scoring a run on a sacrifice fly to take the early 1-0 lead over the Falcons.
- Albertus saw the Mavericks' lead grow to four, 4-0, until the bottom of the fifth as the Falcons cut the lead in half, 4-2, thanks to a pair of RBI singles from Esposito and Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.).
- Medialle countered back with two runs in the top of the sixth to push its lead back up to four, 6-2.
- The Falcons tried to get a rally going in the final two innings of play, scoring back-to-back runs in the sixth and seventh, but came up short, 6-4.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Albertus was led offensively by Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.) who posted a team-best two hits over three at-bats.
- Five different Falcons drove in a run.
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) picked up the loss for Albertus.
THE BASICS (Game 3)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 8 | La Roche 0 (5 innings)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2) | La Roche (0-6)
ALL-TIME SERIES: This is the third meeting between the two programs. With today's win, Albertus is now 2-1 against La Roche.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 3)
- Albertus kicked off the second game of the day scoring three runs in the bottom of the first, behind an RBI double from Stettinger, an RBI single from Esposito and a two-run RBI homer from L. Anderson, to take the early 3-0 lead.
- La Roche was unable to hit the ball out of the infield over the next few innings and saw its chance of a comeback start to dwindle.
- The Falcons final at bat was in the bottom of the fourth as the team scored five runs to take a commanding 8-0 lead entering the fifth.
- La Roche was able to get a runner on with one out, but the Redhawks' rally ended with a strikeout and a lineout to the pitcher.
KEY STATS (Game 3)
- Over five innings, L. Anderson allowed only one hit and struck out three to earn her first win of the season.
- Esposito was perfect at the plate recording a 3-for-3 performance with two runs scored and two RBI.
- L. Anderson also recorded two RBI and two runs scored.
LET'S GO FALCONS!
Prior to its 6:30 pm showdown with Wells College, the Albertus Magnus College baseball team came out to support the Lady Falcons as they took on La Roche on Tuesday.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Thursday, March 14 with a pair of non-conference games against Medialle and Cincinnati Christian. The Falcons rematch against the Mavericks kicks off at 11:30 a.m. followed by a 1:30 p.m. match up against the Eagles.