Brooklyn, N.Y. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team improves to 6-4 on the season as the Falcons swept Brooklyn College in a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon at Brooklyn College Field. Albertus Magnus took the first game of the double bill, 18-0 (5 innings), and closed out the afternoon with a 15-2 (5 innings) win in finale.
FINAL (Game 1): Albertus Magnus 18 | Brooklyn 0 (5 innings)
FINAL (Game 2): Albertus Magnus 15 | Brooklyn 2 (5 innings)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-4) | Brooklyn (0-2)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 1)
- Albertus did not waste any time before showcasing their offensive powers scoring nine runs on three hits and three errors in the top of the first to take a commanding 9-0 lead over the Bulldogs.
- Sophomore Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) and junior Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) led the Falcons' attack in the top of the first scoring two runs apiece off a RBI double and a RBI single, respectively, while senior Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) posted a sacrifice RBI.
- An inning later, the Falcons struck again this time scoring eight runs, highlighted by a pair of two-run RBI's from seniors Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) and Maxine Sanchez (Corona, N.Y.), to extend their lead to 17-0.
- In the top of the third, Cunning recorded her third RBI of the game after driving in Brianna Ruggiero (East Haven, Conn.) from third to put the game away 18-0.
- Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) earned her third win on the mound after recording her second shutout of the season.
- The Bulldogs only hit of the game came in the bottom of the first.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Freshman Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) recorded a four-hit performance at the plate to go along with three runs scored.
- Esposito, Cunning and DeFoe each tallied a team-high three RBI.
- Albertus finished the game with a season-high 14 hits and 14 RBI.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
- Albertus came out swinging scoring three runs in the first, a run in the second and eight runs in the third to take an early 12-0 lead.
- Cunning and Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.) eached tallied an RBI in the top of the first before freshman Megan Anderson (Levittown, N.Y.) drove in the Falcons lone run in the second off a RBI single.
- It was a team effort the top of the third as Albertus scored eight runs on four hits and capitalized on a Bulldog error.
- Brooklyn showed resilience in the bottom of the third scoring their first two runs of the season to cut the deficit to 12-2, but a four-run inning in the top of the fourth gave Albertus a 13-run cushion, 15-2.
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) kept the Bulldogs at bay striking out five of the final six batters to secure the road win for the Falcons.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Dighello picked up her second win of the season as well as tallied a season-high 10 strikeouts over five innings.
- Cunning finished the game 4-for-4 at the plate with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Murphy also posted a team-high three RBI to go along with three hits and a run scored.
The softball team returns to the diamond on Wednesday, March 20 with a road doubleheader at Manhattanville. Game times are set for 3pm and 5pm.