New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team edged past Lasell College, 2-1, on a rainy Friday afternoon at Shea Stadium in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play. However, the second game of the GNAC doubleheader was postponed in the third inning due to lightning and rain. No make-up date has been determined.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (17-16, 6-7)| Lasell (6-29, 2-11)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
The Falcons only two runs of the game came from senior Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.), who recorded her first collegiate home run in the bottom of the first. With one out, freshman Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) kept things going as she reached first on a error by the first baseman before Guglielmi hit a deep ball over the left field fence for a two-run homer.
Lasell cut the deficit in half in the top of the sixth inning when Arianna Genovese cracked a two-out double to left field, and Nicolette Genkos delivered an RBI single. Sophomore Bethany Hector singled for Lasell in the seventh inning but the Lasers couldn't push across the tying run.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) pitched all seven innings for Albertus and allowed one run on six hits while striking out two.
- Hannah Doherty suffered the loss on the mound after allowing two runs on four hits over 6.0 innings.
- Guglielmi finished game one 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI and a run scored.
- Freshman Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) and sophomore Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.) each finished with a hit.
- Both Arianna Genovese and Lisa Pare led Lasell with two hits over three at bats.
Albertus concludes the 2019 regular season with a road GNAC doubleheader against Regis College on Saturday, April 26. Due to field conditions, the doubleheader has been moved from a 1PM start to a 2PM start time in Weston, Mass.