Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team opened up its annual spring break trip to the Palmetto State with a pair of non-conference victories against Rhode Island College (6-2) and Wells College (23-5) on Sunday afternoon as part of the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 6 | Rhode Island College 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Rhode Island College (0-1)
- This is the first meeting between the Falcons and Anchormen.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus took the lead for good with a three-run first inning, paced by an RBI single from Angelina Ramada (North Branford, Conn.).
Rhode Island rallied in the bottom half of the seventh, but was held to only two runs behind a double from Amber Wainwright.
- Sophomore Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) earned her first "W" of the season for Albertus, allowing two runs on six hits to go along with eight strikeouts. Dighello also threw her first complete game of 2020.
- Geloso went 2-for-4 at the plate with two runs scored and a RBI, while Breanna Saldivar (Middletown, Conn.) was 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Along with Geloso, Franklin, L. Anderson and Ramada all tallied a RBI for the Falcons.
- Saldivar's two-hit performance was behind a pair of doubles.
- Michaela DeAngelis and Wainwright led RIC with two-hits apiece while Wainwright tallied a team-high two RBI.
- Riley Kernan took the loss for RIC, allowing five runs on eight hits over seven innings of work.
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 23 | Wells College 5 - 5 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-0) | Wells College (0-1)
- This is the first meeting between the Falcons and Express.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus scored five runs in the top of the first, which included a two-run RBI triple from freshman Peyton Davis (North Haven, Conn.).
The Falcons broke the game open in the top of the second as the team plated seven runs, highlighted by a two-run homer from L. Anderson and a three-run RBI double from Stettinger to go up 12-1.
Wells rallied back in the bottom half of the second, scoring four runs on four hits to cut the deficit to seven, 12-5.
Albertus responded with back-to-back singles from Karissa Kerrs (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) and Stettinger as well as a double from Ava Gladwin (Guilford, Conn.) to push its advantage to 17-5. Sophomore Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) kept things going for the Falcons in the top of the third with a RBI single (18-5), but a fly out to right field from L. Anderson ended the inning.
The Falcons tacked on five more runs in the top of the fifth, which included a two-run RBI triple from Kayla Gosselin (Wallingford, Conn.), en route to the 23-5 victory.
- Ten different players registered at least a hit for the Falcons.
- Sophomore Megan Anderson (Levittown N.Y.) went 4-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI for the Falcons. Three of her four hits were singles.
- Davis was 4-for-5 on the afternoon with a team-high four runs scored and three RBI's.
- Geloso earned her first collegiate start and win on the mound for the Falcons. Over two innings of work, Geloso allowed five runs on four hits while striking out three.
- Both Stettinger and Gosselin led the offensive attack with four RBI's.
- The Falcons' bullpen held Wells to only five hits.
- Kerrs also made her collegiate debut on the mound for the Falcons. The first-year player pitched three innings, struck out two batters and allowed only one hit.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Monday, March 9 with a non-conference doubleheader against Medialle and Fitchburg State as part of the Fastpitch Dreams Classic. Game times are set for 9:30 AM (Field 4) and 11:30 AM (Field 4).