Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team split a pair of non-conference games to Medaille College and Fitchburg State University on Monday afternoon as part of the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 6 | Medaille College 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-0) | Medaille College (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Medaille took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Audra Marley singled in Gabrielle Prescutti from third and then stole second, allowing Abby Nicometti to score on the throw.
Both pitchers were locked in for the next two innings, as both teams threw up goose eggs, before Albertus exploded for four runs in the fourth inning. The Mavericks committed four errors, and the Falcons capitalized on their opportunity.
Two errors and a single by Karissa Kerrs (Wappingers Falls, New York) loaded the bases for Breanna Salvadore (Middletown, Conn.), who also reached on an error, scoring the runner from third. Sophomore Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) followed up with an RBI-single, before Janelle Franklin (Middletown, Conn.) delivered a two-run RBI double. Senior Kayla Gosselin (Wallingford, Conn.) followed with a two-run RBI single into right field, scoring Stettinger and Franklin and giving the Falcons a 6-2 lead.
Both teams were held scoreless for the next two innings, before the Mavericks answered with a run in the bottom of the sixth. Abbigail Doherty reached on an error before Marley whacked a long double, scoring Doherty from second and bringing the score to 6-3, heading into the seventh inning.
The Falcons held on for the win in the seventh inning, as sophomore pitcher Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) finished the complete game, and picked up her second win of the season.
- Dighello threw her second complete game and allowed three runs on five hits to go along with five strikeouts.
- Franklin posted another multi-hit game as the rookie went 3-for-4 at the plate, including a double, and two RBI's.
- Both Franklin and Gosselin recorded a team-best two RBI in the victory.
- Stettinger finished the game with a 2-for-5 showing at the plate, recording an RBI and scoring a run in the process.
- Kerrs also served as an offensive threat for the Falcons, going 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
FINAL (G2): Fitchburg State 17 | Albertus Magnus 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-1) | Fitchburg State (3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Fitchburg State opened the non-conference clash with an early 9-0 lead, before an RBI single from the Falcons in the top of the second brought the score to 10-0.
Fitchburg State tacked on a run in the third, four runs in the fourth, and two runs in the fifth to account for the 17-5 final.
Albertus threatened in the fourth as Stettinger led off the inning with a double and a stolen base, but Fitchburg's Sarah Cahill snuffed out the threat with a strikeout and a flyout.
- Stettinger recorded a season-high three hits, logging multiple hits in each of the last three games.
- Stettinger also recorded her first stolen base of the season.
- Franklin has tallied two-plus hits in all three games that she played.
- Kerrs also logged multiple hits in three consecutive games.
Albertus returns to action on Tuesday, March 10 with a non-conference doubleheader against Brevard and Keystone. Game times are set for 3:30 PM and 5:30 PM.