FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 81 | Simmons 46
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-9, 7-5) | Simmons (6-12, 5-7)
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Led behind five double-digit performances, including a double-double from Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated GNAC opponent Simmons College, 81-46, on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest".
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus came off the bench hot, opening the game with a 15-4 lead following a made free-throw from Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) at the 3:09 mark. Simmons would cut the Falcons' lead to within seven, 18-11, to start off the second, but a three from Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) sparked a 16-2 run to push the hosts' lead to 21, 34-13, with 5:16 left until the half. Simmons continued to chip away at the Falcons' lead and would trail the hosts 39-26 at the half.
The Falcons continued to control the momentum of the game and began the third quarter with a 12-7 run to extend their lead to 18, 51-33, heading into a Sharks' timeout. Coming out of the break, Albertus closed out the quarter with a 7-4 run and would lead 58-37 heading into the final 10 minutes of play.
The closest the visitors got to within the hosts was 19, 58-39, as Lauren Brandau made a layup just 30 seconds into the fourth. From then on, the Falcons pushed their lead to above 30 and took home the 81-46 home win.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Three different Falcons registered in double-figures while Liz Brasa of Simmons collected a team-high 10 points in the first.
- Albertus shot 39.3 percent from the floor while the Sharks shot only 26.7 percent.
- The Falcons held a 22-19 edge in rebounds.
- Simmons registered only three steals, but collected 13 turnovers of the first 20 minutes of play.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Albertus outshot the Sharks 23-9 in the fourth quarter.
- Simmons shot only eight field goals compared to Albertus who shot 14.
- Bolden scored 15 of her 26 points in the second half.
- Along with Bolden, Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) scored in double-figures with 11.
- Albertus finished the game shooting 39.1 percent from the field while the Sharks shot only 25.4 percent.
- Liz Brasa led the Sharks with 19 points while Francesca Corsinetti rouned out the double-digit scorers with 14.
- Epps and Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) collected 11 points a piece while Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) added 12 points for the afternoon.
- Bolden recorded a team-high 26 points and 17 rebounds while Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) posted 16.
- The Falcons finished the game with 54 rebounds, 16 assists and 12 steals.
The Falcons return to action next week against Suffolk and Emmanuel.