FINAL SCORE: Suffolk University 63 | Albertus Magnus 56
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-10, 7-6) | Suffolk (16-7, 11-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite opening the game with a 4-0 lead, Albertus found themselves trailing the Rams 7-6, following a 7-2 run sparked by Georgia Bourikas. The Falcons managed to battle back and regain the lead, 10-9, after two made free throws from Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) with 4:54 left in the first. However, Suffolk took control of the game and closed out the first quarter with an 8-2 run.
Albertus came out of the locker room with fire in its eyes as the Falcons rallied together a short spurt to bring the score to within two, 34-32. Suffolk pushed its lead back up to nine, 41-32, at the 5:23 mark and would maintain the lead heading into the fourth and final quarter, 49-43.
The Falcons continued to battle back until a layup from Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) cut the visitors' lead to five, 56-51, with 5:03 remaining. However, the Falcons' rally was just not enough as the hosts came up short, 63-56.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Albertus shot 34.5 percent (10-of-29) from the floor while the Rams shot 43.3 percent (13-of-30).
- At the end of the half, Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) collected a double-double, 12 points and 10 rebounds before entering the second half.
- Kelsey Schiebel led the offensive attack for the Rams with a team-high 11 points as well as shot 3-of-7 from three-point range.
- The Falcons held a 20-18 edge over the Rams in rebounds.
- Suffolk pulled down 21 rebounds compared to the hosts who recorded only 19.
- Albertus had a better second half shooting 34.5 percent from the floor while holding the Rams to only 27.3 percent.
- Bolden recorded the Falcons' only two blocks in the final 20 minutes of play as well as had a big second half, 13 rebounds and 15 points.
- The Falcons forced seven Suffolk turnovers.
- Bolden finished the game with a season-high 23 rebounds, three assists, two blocks, two steals and 27 points, just two shy of her season-high 29.
- Kelsey Schiebel led the Rams with a team-high 19 points while Georgia Bourikas added 13.
- Albertus and Suffolk finished the game with 39 rebounds each, but Albertus would hold a 7-2 edge in second chance points.
- The Falcons forced 10 Suffolk turnovers and scored 10 points off those errors.
The Falcons return to action this Saturday, Feb. 11th at Emmanuel (Mass.). Tip-off is slated for 1 p.m.