FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 85 | Albertus 56
TEAM RECORDS: Emmanuel (17-7, 13-2) | Albertus Magnus (12-11, 7-7)
BOSTON, Mass. – Despite two double-digit performances from juniors Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team fell to GNAC foe Emmanuel (Mass.) College, 85-56, on Saturday afternoon at Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite opening the game with the early 3-0 lead, following a three from Piccirillo, the Falcons found themselves trailing the Saints, 20-9, with 2:22 left in the first. Emmanuel would close out the quarter with a 5-3 run to take a 25-13 lead into the second.
Albertus continued to chip away at the Saints double-digit lead as a layup from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), at the 5:23 mark, brought the score to within 11, 35-24. However, Emmanuel would hold a 50-32 lead at the half.
Emmanuel remained in control in the third, but a three from Liz Falcigno (Wallignford, Conn.) cut the hosts' lead to 15, 56-41, but Emmanuel answered back with a 14-2 run to close the quarter, 70-43.
For the remaining 10 minutes, Albertus could only play catch-up as the visitors fell on the road to the Saints, 85-56.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Junior Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) led the Falcons in rebounds with six while Bolden chipped in with five.
- Emmanuel shot an impressive 63.3 percent from the field while the Falcons shot only 33.3 percent.
- Jen Chalk of Emmanuel scored 17 of her 19 points over the first 20 minutes of play.
- Albertus was able to force 11 Saints' turnovers while the Falcons only posted seven.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Falcigno scored all six of her second half points after going 2-for-2 from three point range.
- Emmanuel held a 23-20 edge over Albertus in rebounds.
- Only two of the Saints' starters scored at least two points in the second half.
- Three different Falcons recorded a team-high two made field goals each.
- Bolden was just shy of recording a double-double as the forward registered 21 points, two blocks, three steals, two assists and nine rebounds.
- Piccirillo rounded out the double-digit scorers with 14 points, three rebounds and a steal.
- Albertus finished the game shooting 27.0 percent while the Saint finished about 50 percent.
- Jen Chalk, Olivia Marks and Alexis Ezell all combined for 36 points of the Saints' 85 points.
The Falcons return to action on February 14th at Saint Joseph's (Conn.)