FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 81 | Mount Ida 66
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-11, 9-7) | Mount Ida (7-18, 3-13)
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team concluded the regular season with a 81-66 win over Mount Ida on Saturday afternoon as part of Senior Day. The Falcons conclude the regular season with a record of 14-11 and 9-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus took control early opening the game with an 11-3 lead following a layup from Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) at the 3:41 mark. Mount Ida battled back to within three, 11-8, but the Falcons would close out the quarter with a 12-2 run.
Over the next four minutes of play, Mount Ida put together a 12-2 run to cut the Falcons' lead to three, 25-22. Albertus slowly began building momentum and would hold a 43-33 lead at the half.
The Falcons continued to control the flow of the game and push their lead to 12, 51-39, with 5:04 left in the third. Mount Ida chipped away at the double-digit lead and would trail by 10, 60-50, entering the final 10 minutes of play.
Mount Ida managed to find themselves within eight, 68-60, following a layup from Alkinburg with 5:30 left on the clock, but that would be the final threat as the Falcons secured the GNAC win, 88-61.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Albertus outshot Mount Ida in the first quarter, 23-10, but would trail 23-20 in the second.
- Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) led the offensive unit with 14 points while Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) added 10.
- Katlyn Jesse and Brittany Crosby led the Mustangs in the opening 20 minutes with 15 and 13 points, respectively.
- Mount Ida held a 24-22 edge over the Falcons in rebounds.
- Both teams collected nine turnovers in the first.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) collected 11 of her 16 points over the final 20 minutes of play.
- Albertus shot only 38.2 percent from the floor while the Mustangs shot 34.4 percent.
- In the third quarter, both teams totaled 17 points each.
- Albertus improved in rebouding in the second as the Falcons collected 28.
- Katlyn Jesse led the Mustangs with nine points and six rebounds.
- Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) had a game-high 17 rebounds, along with three blocks, two steals and two assists as well as netted 24 points.
- Albertus got 15 points from Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) and 13 points, four assists and four steals out of Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.).
- Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) had 16 points off of the bench, a key part of a Falcons pine that outscored the Mount Ida reserves 27-16.
- Albertus also had a 48-26 edge in points in the paint.
- Katlyn Jesse scored eight points in the first quarter and then became the fifth member of the Mount Ida women's basketball 1,000 point club just four seconds into the second quarter when she nailed a three-pointer to open the period.
The Falcons have earned the #4 seed in the GNAC South Division and will travel to North #1 Saint Joseph's Maine on Tuesday, February 21st for a quarterfinal matchup.