LINK: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Led behind a trio of double-digit scorers, including a team-high 15 points from junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated in-state rival Mitchell College, 71-41, Wednesday evening at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
SCORE: Albertus Magnus 71 | Mitchell 41
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Mitchell (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite opening the game down by one, 1-0, following a technical foul, Albertus Magnus came out with fire in its eyes and found themselves ahead by 12, 23-11, entering the second quarter. The Falcons continued to control the momentum of the game despite the visitors cutting the lead to 13, 34-21, at the half.
The closest the visitors got to within the hosts was 13, 36-23, as Francesca Pinard made two free throws with 8:55 left in third. From then on, the Falcons pushed their lead to above 30 and took home the non-conference win.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons won their 15th home opener and are 17-10 in season openers.
- Albertus Magnus is now 9-0 against Mitchell in the all-time series.
- After tonight's 14 point performance, Bolden is now fourth all-time in points with 1,469.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Johnson's 19 points came off a 4-of-11 performance from the floor and a 7-for-9 showing at the line. She also opened her junior campaign with a double-double, 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) complimented Johnson's double-double with her own. The forward registered 14 points, 16 rebounds and three steals.
- Junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the hosts with 12 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Mitchell closed out the game shooting only 27.8 percent from the floor and 44.0 percent from the line. The visitors were 0-for-10 at three-point range.
- The Mariners were led offensively by Jordan Lohneiss, who registered eight points, two rebounds, an assist and a steal.
- Albertus Magnus out rebounded the hosts, 55-41, including a 39-34 edge in defensive rebounds.
- In her first game as a Falcon, Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with a team-high five blocks.
- The Falcons finished the game shooting 35.6 percent from the field, 25.0 percent from behind the arc and 63.6 percent at the line.
Albertus Magnus return to action this weekend as the Falcons take part in the Rose City Classic hosted by Drew University. The Falcons will square off with Widener on Friday, Nov. 17 at 8 p.m.