Albertus Magnus College
Women's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (3-1)
Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) (2-1)
Tuesday, Nov. 28 • 6 p.m. • Danbury, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (3-1)
Regis (Mass.) (0-3)
Saturday, Dec. 2 • 1 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team prepares for two games this week as the Falcons take on in-state foe Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) on Tuesday before opening up GNAC play Saturday afternoon against Regis (Mass.).
WEEK TWO RECAP
- Game 4: Albertus Magnus 87| Medgar Evers 48 - BOX SCORE/ RECAP
WEEK TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- opened the season with four straight double-doubles.
- First time in career to start with four straight double-doubles.
- Posted a total 15 points & 14 rebounds vs. Medgar Evers.
- Posted a career-high 12 rebounds & seven blocks vs. Medgar Evers.
- Following Tuesday's win, the Falcons hold a 4-0 edge over Medgar Evers in the all-time series.
- Tuesday's 87 point performance is a season-best for the Falcons.
- The Falcons recorded a season-best eight blocks and 18 steals.
- The Falcons were one rebound shy of tying their season-best of 55.
ALL-TIME VS. WCSU
WCSU leads Albertus Magnus in the all-time series, 6-0.
LAST TIME VS. WCSU
Game (11/29/16): WCSU 74 | Albertus Magnus 67 – BOX SCORE/ RECAP
ALL-TIME VS. REGIS (MASS.)
First time playing each other.
BOLDEN TABBED AS AMC FEMALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) of the women's basketball team has been named as the Albertus Magnus Female Student-Athlete of the Week. Bolden collected her fourth straight double-double, 15 points and 14 rebounds, to help lead the Falcons to an 87-48 win over Medgar Evers last Tuesday. She shot a season-high 50 percent from the field and shot a perfect 100 percent from the free throw line. The senior forward also registered a season-high three assists, two steals and a block against the Cougars.
- Jill Johnson is tied in third in the league, along with Emmanuel's Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda, averaging 17.3 points per game.
- Olivia Bolden ranks second the conference in rebounding with 14.0 rebounds per game.
GNAC RANKINGS – TEAM
- Albertus Magnus leads the conference four different statistical categories - points per game (75.0), offensive rebounds per game (17.8), total rebounds per game (51.8) and blocks per game (5.8).
- Albertus Magnus ranks second in two different statistical categories – defensive rebounds per game (34.0) and steals per game (14.3).
JOHNSON NAMED AMC FEMALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Last Monday, junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) of the women's basketball team has been named as the Albertus Magnus Female Student-Athlete of the Week. In a 2-1 week for the Falcons, Johnson averaged 18.3 points and 7.7 rebounds while shooting 45.0 percent from the field and 69.2 percent from the free throw line. The junior began the week recording her first career double-double, 15 points and 10 rebounds, in the win over in-state rival Mitchell. At the Rose City Classic, Johnson recorded a season-high 21 points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block in the loss to Widener before collecting 18 points, eight rebounds, two assists and three steals against Wilson. She wrapped up the week averaging 2.3 assists and 3.3 steals per game.
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PICKED TO FINISH SEVENTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete GNAC Women's Basketball Preseason Release
The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team was picked to finish seventh in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll. The Falcons earned 102 points to finish just two points behind sixth-place Norwich
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
The women's basketball team ended the 2016-17 season with a 14-12 overall record and advanced to the GNAC Tournament as the No. 4 seed thanks to a 9-7 mark in league play. Albertus saw its season come to an end with a setback at Saint Joseph's of Maine in the GNAC Quarterfinals.
BOLDEN AND FALCIGNO JOIN 1,000 POINT CLUB
Former Falcon Lliz Falcigno and returning forward Olivia Bolden have joined the 1,000 point club last season. Falcigno finished her tenure with the Falcons with 1,073 points while Bolden will continue to add to her current total of 1,455.
BOLDEN AND FALCIGNO RECEIVE ALL-CONFERENCE HONORS
At the end of last season, Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and Liz Falcigno (Wallingford, Conn.) both earned All-Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) honors. Bolden was named to the first team, while Falcigno landed on the second team.
SIX PLAYERS NAMED TO THE GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jill Johnson, Megan Thornton, Liz Falcigno, Aaliyah Bohannon, Angelina Piccirillo and Olivia Bolden.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week with a non-conference road match against Pine Manor on Tuesday and a GNAC road game against Norwich on Saturday.