Danbury, Conn. - Despite a double-double from senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team fell to in-state foe Western Connecticut State University, 123-76, in non-conference action on Tuesday evening at Feldman Arena.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2) | Western Conn. St. Univ. (3-1)
SCORE: Western Conn. St. Univ. 123 | Albertus Magnus 76
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus jumped out to an early 7-3 lead. However, WCSU countered to hold a 29-19 advantage late in the opening quarter. The Falcons would respond and pull to within eight, 29-21, on a bucket from junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.). The Colonials would put together another short spurt and would hold a 35-21 lead entering the final 10 minutes of the half.
Western Conn. State opened the second quarter with a 5-0 run until a three from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) broke the Falcons' silence and cut the lead to 40-24. The Colonials' lead grew to 51-33 before the hosts closed out the half with a 64-37 lead, following a 13-4 run.
WCSU would not relinquish the lead as they controlled the pace of the final two quarters to secure the home win, 123-76.
- Following tonight's 27-point performance, Bolden ranks fourth all-time in scoring with 1,545.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) posted a career-high 12 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with her 27 points, Bolden posted a team-high 19 rebounds, three assists and a block.
- Johnson rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Falcons with 11 points.
- WCSU had five players score in double-figures, including a team-high 28 points from Jancy Sherwood.
- Albertus Magnus dominated in the paint, 52-32, but the Colonials' bench held a 72-25 edge over the Falcons.
- The Colonials outrebounded the visitors 57-38.
- Albertus Magnus - 45.5% (field goal), 33.3% (three point) and 63.6% (free throw)
- WCSU - 45.8% (field goal), 40.4% (three point) and 73.7% (free throw)
Albertus Magnus returns to action this Saturday, Dec. 2 as the Falcons host Regis (Mass.) in their GNAC opener beginning at 1 p.m.