Link: BOX SCORE
New Haven, Conn. – Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team tallied her sixth straight double-double of the season as the Falcons fell to Regis (Mass.) in their Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener by a score of 75-58 Saturday afternoon at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-3, 0-1) | Regis (Mass.) (2-3, 1-0)
SCORE: Regis (Mass.) 75 | Albertus Magnus 58
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus got off to a fast start as Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) recorded a layup, steal and assist and Bolden nailed a three pointer to lift the hosts to an early 7-0 lead. The Pride picked up their defensive effort and hit their free throws before a Maura Russell's three pointer tied the game at 13-13.
Regis went up five points in the second quarter, but the Falcons regained the lead with a 6-0 run. Andreah Orr's (Danbury, Conn.) layup with 5:38 to play until halftime put her team up 25-24. Later, an 8-2 Falcon run, highlighted by three pointers from Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) and Maxine Sanchez (Corona, N.Y.), extended the lead to six points and the Falcons' carried a three-point cushion into halftime.
The Pride would continue to lead a very tight contest through most of the third quarter before ending the period on an 8-2 run to go up 57-49. Regis pushed the lead to 10 points on a Stone bucket to open the scoring in the fourth quarter, then completed a three-point play to put the Pride up 62-49 with 8:40 remaining. Regis held Albertus to only nine points in the period, extending the lead to as many as 21 points before cruising to the win.
- Orr tied her career-high in points with 12 as well as posted four blocks and six rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Bolden posted 22 points while grabbing a game-high 12 rebounds while Johnson added 15 points, five rebounds, five assists and four steals.
- Brittany Stone led the Pride offensively as she delivered her fourth straight double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds.
- Regis (Mass.) held a 42-38 edge in rebounds, but Albertus Magnus recorded a 20-12 advantage in second chance points.
- Both teams registered 21 turnovers.
- Albertus Magnus – 33.8% (floor), 19.0% (three point) and 52.6% (free throw)
- Regis (Mass.) – 41.8% (floor), 33.3% (three point) and 77.4% (free throw)
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week as the Falcons visit Pine Manor on Tuesday, Dec. 5 for a 7:30 p.m. tip. Next up for the Pride is a home date versus Anna Maria Monday, Dec. 11 at 5:00 p.m.