Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) recorded her first collegiate double-double, 15 points and 17 rebounds, as the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated the College of New Rochelle, 87-68, Thursday evening in non-conference play at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-3) | New Rochelle (3-7)
SCORE: Albertus Magnus 87 | New Rochelle 68
HOW IT HAPPENED
New Rochelle controlled the opening five minutes of the game as the Blue Angels held a four-point lead, 10-6, before a short spurt by the hosts tied the game up at 10-all at the 4:35 mark. Albertus Magnus would close out the first quarter with a 13-5 run to take a seven-point, 23-15, lead heading into the second.
The Falcons slowly began pulling away with the lead, 31-17, but at the 1:03 mark the Blue Angels found themselves down nine, 41-30, following a three from Dar'Neisha Brice. Freshman Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) would score the final basket for the hosts and give them a 12-point cushion, 44-32, at the half.
Albertus Magnus continued to control the momentum of the game, pushing its lead to 22, 68-46, entering the final stanza. Despite the Blue Angels outscoring the hosts, 22-19, in the fourth, Albertus Magnus sealed the non-conference win and extended its winning streak to three.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons are now 6-1 against the Blue Angels in the all-time series.
- Freshman Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) was two points and two assists shy of recording a triple double. She posted a career-high 11 rebounds and eight assists to go along with eight points and two blocks.
- The Falcons have won their last three out of four games.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 45.7% (field goal), 27.6% (three-point) and 29.4% (free throw)
- New Rochelle - 34.2% (field goal), 33.3% (three-point) and 38.5% (free throw)
- The Falcons out rebounded the Blue Angels, 62-42, and posted a 23-19 edge in second chance points.
- Orr recorded the double-double in the first half.
- New Rochelle had three players score in double-figures, including a team-high 20 points from Aaliyah Fields. She also scored six of the visitors' 11-three pointers.
- Sophomore Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for Albertus Magnus with 12 points.
- New Rochelle capitalized on turnovers, scoring 23 points off the Falcons' 16 errors.
- Along with Orr, senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) also recorded a double-double, 21 points and 15 rebounds.
- The Falcons dominated in the paint, 44-20.
- Orr and Shirling Davis led the defensive unit as the duo posted two blocks a piece.
- Fields shot an impressive 100% from the floor and three point range in the fourth quarter.
Albertus Magnus closes out 2017 on Saturday, Dec. 16 at Farmingdale State. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m.