Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team recorded a pair of double-doubles as the Falcons defeated in-state rival Saint Joseph's (Conn.) by a score of 84-63 Tuesday evening at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 84 | Univ. of Saint Joseph's (Conn.) 63
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (10-4, 4-2) | Univ. of Saint Joseph's (Conn.) (7-6, 2-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus jumped out to an early 28-17 advantage and closed out the final 10 minutes of the first half with a 19-point lead, 49-30. During the opening quarter, Epps paced the offense with 11 points and nine rebounds on 4-of-7 shooting from the field while Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) shot 66.7% from behind the arc in the second.
In the third quarter, both teams registered 16-points apiece, but the Falcons would remain on top, 65-46, heading into the fourth and final quarter. Albertus Magnus put the game out of reach in the fourth en route to its fourth GNAC win of the season.
- With tonight's win, the Falcons are 23-8 against the Blue Jays in the all-time series.
- Olivia Bolden's (South Windsor, Conn.) 21-point performance pushes her career-point total to 1,759 ranking her second all-time.
- Bolden now has a total of 973 rebounds and is just 27 shy of recording 1,000. She will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- Epps recorded her second double-double of the season as the junior scored 15 points and 10 rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 47.1% (field goal), 31.8% (three point) and 59.1% (free throw)
- Saint Joseph's (Conn.) - 30.3% (field goal), 27.8% (three point) and 75% (free throw)
- Along with Bolden and Epps, Johnson and Cunning also scored in double figures with 21 and 12 points, respectively.
- Saint Joseph's (Conn.) had three players score in double figures, including a team-high 20 points from Shaniyah Williams.
- The Falcons posted a 20-12 edge over the Blue Jays in points off turnovers.
- Albertus Magnus dominated in the paint, 46-22, and in second chance points 17-6.
- Johnson led the Falcons in steals with four and in assists with two.
- Freshman Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) paced the offense with a career-high nine assists to go along with 13 rebounds, two steals and two points.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) and Bolden led the defensive unit with two blocks each.
- The Falcons out-rebounded the visitors, 51-37.
- Both teams had 21 turnovers.
- Kayla Guest was the next Blue Jay to score in double-figures with 14 while Raelynn Voislow rounded out the scorers with 10 points.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court on Thursday, Jan. 18 as the Falcons face Emmanuel (Mass.) in a 7 p.m. GNAC tilt. Saint Joseph's (Conn.) will face Emmanuel (Mass.) on Saturday, Jan. 20.