New Haven, Conn. - Led behind two double-doubles from senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team topped Anna Maria College, 66-53, on Thursday evening in GNAC play at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 66 | Anna Maria 53
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-5, 6-3) | Anna Maria (2-16, 1-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Anna Maria opened the game with the early lead until a pair of free throws from Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) gave the Falcons a 5-4 edge. Shortly after, Albertus Magnus rallied together a 9-7 run to end the quarter with 16-11 lead.
The Falcons managed to outscore the AMCATS in the second, 24-13, heading into the locker room up 40-24.
The third period belonged to Anna Maria as the visitors outscored the Falcons 17-11 to cut the lead to 10, 51-41, entering the final 10 minutes of play. The Falcons maintained their lead in the fourth and never looked back, securing the home win, 66-53.
- Bolden's 10-point performance pushes her career-point total to 1,812 ranking her second all-time.
- At home, the Falcons improve their record to 6-1.
- Albertus Magnus posted a season-high 23 offensive rebounds and a season-high 63 rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 29.7% (field goal), 20% (three point) and 81.3% (free throw)
- Anna Maria - 29.4% (field goal), 36.8% (three point) and 46.2% (free throw)
- Junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and Epps paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high 16 points apiece while seniors Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) and Bolden netted 10 each.
- Maritza Gustave led the AMCATS with a team-high 11 points on 4-of-8 shooting from the field.
- Franchesca Hammdon and Kristina Russo rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 points apiece.
- Albertus Magnus out rebounded the visitors 63-42 and posted a 13-8 edge in second chance points.
- The Falcons held a 13-8 advantage in second chance points.
- This game saw three lead changes and one tie.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with two blocks along with seven points and eight rebounds.
- Anna Maria's bench scored 19 of its 53 points.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Saturday, Jan. 27 as the Falcons host Emmanuel (Mass.) in a GNAC home tilt. Anna Maria will face Saint Joseph's (Conn.) at home on Tuesday, Jan. 30.