Newton, Mass. - Led behind three double-doubles from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), freshman Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) and senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated Lasell College, 66-47, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) game at the Lasell Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 66 | Lasell 47
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-6, 8-4) | Lasell (3-16, 1-11)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an evenly matched opening quarter as both teams led for no more than four points and would head into the final 10 minutes of the half tied at 15-15. Lasell would begin the second quarter with the 19-15 lead before back-to-back baskets from Bolden and Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) tied the game at 19-19. Albertus Magnus would close out the frame with an 11-5 run to take a six-point lead, 30-24, at the half.
The Falcons ran off eight straight points midway through the third quarter to turn a four-point contest into a 12-point margin, 40-28 with four minutes to go in the quarter, and led by 11 at the end of the period, 48-37.
The visitors open the fourth quarter with a 12-2 run to push the lead up to 21 points, 60-39, and seal the win.
- The Falcons has won four of its last five games to improve to 14-6 overall.
- On the road, Albertus Magnus is 7-3.
- Albertus Magnus holds a 9-3 advantage over Lasell in the all-time series following today's win.
- Today's double-double from Shirling-Davis was her first of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 35.7% (field goal), 22.7% (three point) and 47.8% (free throw)
- Lasell - 27.6% (field goal), 19.0% (three point) and 52.4% (free throw)
- Bolden led the way with 24 points and 15 rebounds for her eighth straight double-double and her 17th this season.
- Shirling-Davis contributed a career-high 11 points and 12 rebounds for her first career double-double, and Johnson finished two assists shy of a triple-double, finishing with 11 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists.
- Seniors Morgan Church and Brianna Hoffman reached double figures in scoring for the Lasers. Church finished with 18 points and nine rebounds, leading the team in scoring for the 13th straight game and 17th time this season, while Hoffman chipped in with 11 points.
- Albertus Magnus held a 57-42 edge in rebounds while the Falcons posted a 21-6 advantage in second chance points.
- The Falcons posted 26 points in the paint compared to the Lasers who scored 12.
- This game saw five ties and one lead change.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with a team-high two blocks.
- Shirlling-Davis led the Falcons in three-pointers with three.
- Albertus Magnus scored 15 points in both the first and second quarters before posting 18 points in both the third and fourth quarter.
Albertus Magnus plays its third straight conference road game Tuesday at the University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 7:00 p.m. Lasell looks to bounce back with another conference game on Tuesday, hosting Emmanuel College at 7:00 p.m.