West Hartford, Conn. - After a 27-point performance in a 60-48 road victory over Johnson & Wales, senior forward Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team, passed Lianna Carrero as the program's all-time leading scorer with 1,915 career points and counting.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 60 | Saint Joseph's (Conn.) 48
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (15-6, 9-4) | Saint Joseph's (Conn.) (8-13, 3-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was a defensive battle in the opening quarter as the Falcons held a one-point cushion, 8-7, entering the final 10 minutes of the half.
Albertus Magnus came out with fire in its eyes extending its lead to 16, 23-7, after beginning the second with a 15-0 run. A made layup from Diamond Wallen broke the Blue Jays' silence at the 4:21 mark before the visitors closed out the frame with a 29-13 lead.
Two minutes into the third, Saint Joseph's (Conn.) rallied back to within 14, 32-18, until a two free throws from Bolden sparked an 11-0 run, pushing the Falcons' lead to 43-18 with 5:07 left. Saint Joseph's (Conn.) continued to chip away at the visitors' lead and would continue to trail, 53-29, heading into the fourth and final quater.
Despite outshooting the Falcons 19-7 in the fourth, Albertus Magnus was able to seal the win and extend its winning streak to three.
- Freshman Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) posted a career-high 14 rebounds and nine assists to go along with three points and a steal.
- Junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) recorded a career-high 16 rebounds.
- Junior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with a season-best 16 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the field and 4-of-6 from behind the arc.
- Piccirillo shot an impressive 100 percent from the floor, three point range and from the free throw line while also leading the Falcons in the first with 10 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 28.2% (field goal), 30% (three point) and 56% (free throw)
- Saint Joseph's (Conn.) - 24.6% (field goal), 7.1% (three point) and 73.9% (free throw)
- This game saw two ties.
- The Falcons out-rebounded the Blue Jays by a 56-49 edge.
- Rajeen Mayo paced the Blue Jays' offense with a team-high 17 points as well as posted 10 rebounds, three assists, a steal and a block.
- Albertus Magnus scored 24 of its 60 points in the paint.
- The Falcons scored 15 points off the Blue Jays' 20 turnovers.
- Both team scored eight fast break points.
Albertus Magnus returns home on Saturday, Feb. 10 as the Falcons take on first-place Saint Joseph's of Maine. Saint Joseph's (Conn.) is on the road on Saturday at Lasell.