Link: Box Score
New York, N.Y. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team opened the 2018-19 campaign with an impressive 100-42 road win over John Jay Wednesday evening at The Doghouse in non-conference play. The Falcons had five double-digit scorers, including a team-high 24 from senior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), and the double-digit rebounders.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus College 100 | John Jay 42
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (1-0) | John Jay (0-2)
ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD: Albertus ties John Jay in the all-time series, 4-4, following tonight's win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Albertus opened the quarter with a 13-0 run behind a four-point effort from Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) and Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.).
- A three-point play at the 6:48 mark from Samantha Martir broke the scoreless drought for the hosts, 13-2.
- The Falcons continued to strive on offense as the visitors held a 25-9 lead heading into the second.
- Albertus pushed its lead to 19, 30-11, after starting off the second with a 5-2 run sparked by two made free throws from Emma Pierson (Branford, Conn.).
- John Jay continued to chip away at the double-digit lead and found themselves down 20, 37-17, with 4:48 left on the clock.
- The Falcons closed out the half with a 12-5 run extending the score to 49-22.
- Junior Rah Rath Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Johnson led the Falcons in the first half with 11 and 12 points, respectively.
- John Jay was unable to stop Albertus from opening the quarter with a 15-6 run.
- Johnson scored seven of her 10 points in the third during that Falcons' opening run.
- The Falcons controlled the final five minutes of the quarter by scoring 20 points, including seven from Thompson, and holding John Jay to only four.
- Sophomore Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) scored eight of the Falcons' 10 points in the fourth.
- John Jay recorded another 10-point quarter.
- Jill Johnson - 24 points (10-19 FG, 0-1 3-PT, 4-8 FT) |5 rebounds | 5 assists | 9 steals (team-high)
- Rah Rah Thompson - 18 points (8-11 FG, 2-4 FT) | 16 rebounds (team-high) | 1 assist | 1 steal | 4 blocks
- Shyla Osmond - 15 points (7-11 FG, 1-3 3-PT) | 2 rebounds | 5 assist | 3 steals
- Andreah Orr - 12 points (6-10 FG) | 10 rebounds | 1 steal | 6 blocks (team-high)
- Kristin Cunning - 11 points (5-8 FG, 1-4 3-PT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) - 7 points (3-12 FG, 1-3 3-PT) | 14 rebounds | 7 assists (team-high) | 4 steals | 1 block
- Nyasha Howard - 14 points (team-high) | 9 rebounds (team-high) | 1 assist | 4 steals (team-high)
- All'Aha Albrig- 9 points | 2 rebounds | 2 steals
- Lily Raktizis- 5 points | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus - 46.2% FG | 17.6% 3-Point | 65% FT
- John Jay - 17.6% FG | 26.7% 3-Point | 48.3% FT
- The Falcons held the advantage in rebounding, 67-48.
- The Bloodhound were held to only 16 points in the paint compared to the Falcons' 74.
- Albertus scored 42 of its points off 35 Bloodhound errors.
The women's basketball team returns to action this weekend as the Falcons take part in Rose City Classic hosted by Drew University. Albertus will face Drew on Saturday, Nov. 17 before taking part in either the consolation or championship game on Sunday, Nov. 18.