Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Behind five double-digit performances, including a team-high 27 from senior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated in-state rival Western Connecticut State University, 118-103, Tuesday evening at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletics Center.
Tonight's 118-point performance from the Falcons was a new program record as well as earned their first program win over the Colonials.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 118 | Western Conn. St. Univ. 103
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (4-0) | Western Conn. St. Univ. (4-2)
ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD: The Falcons picked up their first program win against the Colonials, 7-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The game began close before Albertus Magnus rattled off a 15-0 run, extending their lead to 35-18 when senior Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, NJ) capped the spurt with a three-pointer to begin the second quarter, which ultimately cemented the win.
The hosts would maintain the advantage for the remainder of the contest as WestConn was unable to shrink the deficit under nine points.
- Jill Johnson - 28 points (10-19 FG, 0-1 3PT, 7-14 FT) | 6 steal | 12 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) - 27 points (13-16 FG, 0-1 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 20 rebounds | 2 assist | 1 block
- Kristin Cunning - 19 points (5-15 FG, 5-13 3PT, 4-5 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assists | 1 steal
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) - 18 points (9-13 FG, 0-2 3PT) | 12 rebounds | 2 assists | 3 blocks
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) - 14 points (4-14 FG, 1-2 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 6 steals
Western Conn. St. :
- Jancy Sherwood - 33 points | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 3 steals
- Imani Baptiste - 15 points | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Gabrielle Hurlbert - 15 points | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Genesis Torres - 14 points | 7 rebounds | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Tashai Price - 11 points | 5 rebounds
The women's basketball team returns to action on Thursday, November 29 as the Falcons host Farmingdale State in a non-conference showdown beginning at 7 p.m. at "The Nest".