Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Behind a team-high 26 points from senior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball kept its winning streak alive defeating Salem State University by a score of 69-67 at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletics Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus College 69 | Salem State University 67
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (7-0) | Salem State University (1-7)
ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD: The Falcons earned their first program win over the Vikings and is now 1-0 in the all-time series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons built a 23-14 lead at the end of the first quarter after shooting an impressive 56.3% from the floor.
- Salem State turned the tables in the second quarter as the Vikings' defense held Albertus Magnus to just nine points in the quarter, which allowed Salem State to enter halftime tied at 32-32.
- Salem State kept the momentum going into the third quarter as the Vikings exited the third with a 56-52 lead.
- An 8-2 spurt early in the fourth gave Albertus the lead back 60-58 at the 7:12 mark.
- Trailing 63-60, the Vikings went cold from the floor, converting just once on a put back in a four-plus minute span that still had Salem State on the wrong end of a 65-62 score.
- However, three straight turnovers by the Falcons and a pair of steals by Natalie Mellinger in addition to baskets by Katie Wallace and Mellinger gave Salem State a 66-65 with 1:30 remaining.
- A turnover by the Vikings led to two free throws by Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) giving Albertus a one-point lead, 68-67 with twenty-five seconds left.
- A turnover by Salem State led to a Johnson free throw with six seconds on the clock before one last attempt by the Vikings to tie the game missed the mark and the Falcons escaped with a 69-67 victory.
- Jill Johnson - 26 points (5-17 FG, 0-3 3PT, 16-21 FT) | 5 rebounds | 4 assist | 1 steal
- Rah Rah Thompson - 19 points (7-12 FG, 5-6 FT) | 12 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) - 18 points (8-19 FG, 1-6 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 7 rebounds | 3 assists | 5 steals
- Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) - 12 rebounds | 3 assists | 3 steals | 3 blocks
- Kia Fernandes - 18 points | 9 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals | 1 block
- Tyra Scott - 13 points | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 blocks | 4 steals
- Natalie Mellinger - 12 points | 1 rebound | 1 assists | 2 steals
- Gianna Moschella - 11 points | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 steals
The women's basketball team returns to action on Thursday, December 6 as the Falcons travel north to Massachusetts to take on Westfield State. Tip-off is set for 7 pm.