Link: Box Score
Boston, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team fell short to Emmanuel (Mass.) College, 86-84, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) showdown Saturday afternoon in overtime inside the Jean Yawkey Center.
FINAL: Emmanuel (Mass.) College 86 | Albertus Magnus 84 (OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (17-3, 5-2) | Emmanuel (Mass.) (15-4, 6-0)
ALL-TIME SERIES: Emmanuel (Mass.) extends its all-time series record to 26-2 after defeating Albertus Magnus, 86-84.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) broke the scoreless drought at the 8:12 mark on a made layup to give the Falcons the late 2-0 edge.
- After missing its first six shots of the game, Emmanuel scored its first basket less than a minute later to even the score at 2-2.
- Following a 6-6 tie, Albertus extended its lead to seven, 15-8, after putting together a 9-2 run with 1:32 left.
- However, the Saints countered back with a short spurt to cut the deficit to one, 16-15, entering the second.
- Three minutes in, Albertus found themselves up five, 26-21, but back-to-back baskets from the Saints evened the score at 26-26.
- Albertus and Emmanuel battled through two ties until a pair of free throws from Yuleska Tejeda-Ramirez sparked an 8-0 run to extend the Saints' lead 38-30.
- A free throw from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and a layup from Thompson gave the Falcons a three-point play to close out the half.
- Albertus entered the locker room trailing the Saints by five, 38-33.
- Despite cutting the lead to two on two occasions, Albertus was unable to stop the Saints from extending their lead to double-digits.
- The Falcons would head into the fourth and final quarter down 12, 60-48.
- Albertus switch gears in the fourth as the Falcons rallied back to regain the lead, 67-66, after putting together a 19-6 run midway through the frame.
- With the clock winding down, Albertus and Emmanuel fought for the lead, but both teams final attempts to break the tie, 75-75, were unsuccessful sending the game into extra time.
- Emmanuel came out of the break scoring four straight points to take the early lead, however Albertus evened the score, 79-79, thanks to a layup from Osmond.
- With 10 seconds remaining, Osmond hit two crucial baskets to cut the Saints' lead to one, but a late-game free throw from Kayla Weaver sealed the win for the Saints.
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) – 33 Points (12-31 FG, 5-12 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 6 rebounds | 2 assists | 6 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson – 18 Points (8-14 FG, 2-3 FT) | 17 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals | 1 block
- Jill Johnson – 15 points (6-18 FG, 0-3 3PT, 3-5 FT) | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 2 steals
- Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda – 33 Points | 11 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Maddie McLaughlin – 14 Points | 5 rebounds | 6 assists | 3 steals
- Kayla Weaver – 15 points | 8 rebounds | 7 assists | 1 steal
Albertus continues Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play on Saturday, February 2 with a home tilt against Norwich University. Tip-off is set for 1pm in New Haven, Conn.