Link: Box Score
West Hartford, Conn. - Behind three double-digit performances, including a team-high 26 points from junior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team improved to 19-3 on the season as well as 7-2 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play after the Falcons defeated in-state foe the University of Saint Joseph's (CT), 86-65, Tuesday evening at the O'Connell Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 86 | University of Saint Joseph's (CT) 65
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (19-3, 7-2) | Saint Joseph's (CT) (3-19, 0-9)
ALL-TIME SERIES: Following tonight's win, Albertus extends its all-time series record to 25-8 against Saint Joseph's (CT).
- Following today's 26-point performance, Osmond is now 73 points away from scoring her 1,000th career point. She will be the 15th player in program history to hit this milestone.
- Albertus is now 9-3 on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Albertus opened regulation with the early 6-0 advantage calling USJ to call a timeout three minutes in.
- The Blue Jays broke their drought at the 7:29 mark on a made layup from Cheyenne-Mone Smith to cut the deficit to four, 6-2.
- The Falcons answered back taking a commanding 21-6 lead following a 15-4 run that was sparked by a layup from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.).
- With 4:20 remaining, USJ came out of timeout hitting its eighth point of the game, but would head into the second trailing 32-13.
- Midway through the second, Albertus found themselves up 20, 41-21, despite the Blue Jays opening the quarter with a 6-1 run.
- USJ cut the Falcons' lead to within 19, 45-26, with 2:05 left on the clock.
- Albertus would head into the locker up 50-28 behind 55 percent shooting from the floor over 20 minutes of play.
- USJ continued to fight as the hosts started off the half with a 13-8 run to bring the score to within 17, 58-41.
- However, Albertus resumed control on offense and would close out the quarter with a 10-8 run to take a 68-49 lead entering the final 10 minutes of play.
- Despite being outshot by the Blue Jays by a 21-18 edge in the third, Albertus was able to seal the conference win.
- The closest the Blue Jays got to within the Falcons was at the 8:03 mark in the fourth as the hosts found themselves down 17, 73-56.
- Shyla Osmond – 26 Points (10-15 FG, 3-6 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 7 rebounds | 5 assists | 3 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) – 12 Points (5-9 FG, 2-2 FT) | 9 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Jill Johnson – 10 points (3-9 FG, 0-2 3PT, 4-7 FT) | 9 rebounds | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) – 7 points (3-5 FG, 1-2 FT) | 9 rebounds | 1 steal | 2 blocks
Saint Joseph's (CT):
- Cheyenne-Mone Smith – 28 Points | 12 rebounds | 4 assists | 6 steals
- Silvana Barcomb – 11 Points | 4 rebounds | 1 steal
- Anna Chevarella – 8 points | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals
Albertus continues GNAC play with a road tilt at Regis (Mass.). Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. in Weston, Mass.