ALBANY, N.Y. – Junior Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) led all players with 24 points in Albertus Magnus College women's basketball's 2019-20 season-opening loss to The Sage Colleges, 69-46, Tuesday evening in Albany, N.Y.
FINAL: The Sage Colleges 69 | Albertus Magnus 46
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Sage (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus started the game by trailing 18-10 after the first quarter. The Gators built an early lead by outshooting the Falcons, as Sage went 8-for-18 (44.4%) from the field, while Albertus shot 4-for-13 (30.8%). Freshman forward Beatriz Honorio (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the way for the Falcons in the frame, tallying four points and four rebounds.
The Falcons began to fight back in the second quarter, cutting the lead to four, 22-18, after an 8-4 run to open the frame. The run was sparked by Raposo and Cassie Couture (Waterberry, Conn.), who scored four points each in the first six minutes of the quarter.
Unfortunately for Albertus, it did not carry this momentum through the end of the quarter, as Sage went on a 14-0 run over the final four minutes. The Gators built a 34-18 halftime lead by taking advantage of Falcons' miscues. Albertus finished the half with 14 fouls, to Sage's five, in addition to shooting just 8-for-27 (29.6%) from the field. Honorio, Raposo and Couture all finished the half with a team-high four points, while Honorio also hauled in six boards.
The Falcons fought to keep the game close in the second half, but were unable to cut the deficit to single digits. Albertus improved its shooting over the final 20 minutes, going 10-for-29 (34.5%) from the field in the half. Raposo led the offense in the frame, scoring 20 of her 24 points to close out the game. Honorio and Raposo were staples on the floor for the Falcons, as the former played all 40 minutes and the latter logged 38.
• For the game, Albertus shot 18-for-56 (32.1%) from the field, while Sage went 25-for-64 (39.1%) from the floor.
• The Falcons led the battle in blocks with six to the Gators' three.
• Albertus made two 3-pointers, while Sage sank three.
• Six different Falcons scored at least one point in tonight's contest.
• Albertus falls to 1-2 all-time against Sage, dropping the last two games.
• Freshmen Honorio, Jasmine St. Clair (Stratford, Conn.) Jah-Naisha Lee (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Mackenzie Hemstock (Wallingford, Conn.) all made their collegiate debuts tonight.
• After leading the team with 2.3 blocks per game last season, Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) started right where she left off with a game-high four blocks tonight.
Sammy Pasinella - 15 points (4-15 FG, 7-8 FT) | 3 rebounds
Madasyn Bush - 13 points (5-11 FG, 3-3 FT) | 8 rebounds | 1 steal | 1 block
Gessica Patregnani - 10 points (4-11 FG, 2-2 3pt) | 3 rebounds | 3 assists
The women's basketball team continues to stay on the road to start the season, as it travels to Farmingdale State on Thursday, Nov. 14, for a nonconference showdown at 7 p.m.