New Haven, Conn. – Senior forward Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) netted a team-high 28 points, grabbed a career-best 31 rebounds and blocked six shots to lead the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team to a thrilling 99-90 win over non-conference foe Westfield State University Wednesday evening inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
Following tonight's win, Albertus remains undefeated at home, 3-0, and extends its winning streak to five games. Tonight's win also saw three double-double performances from Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.), Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) and Thompson as well as saw a new program-record set in total rebounds with 83.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 99 | Westfield State University 90
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-2) | Westfield State University (3-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Owls struck first on a three-pointer by Melissa Gray, but the Falcons retaliated with a Thompson lay-up. A minute later, junior guard Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) gave the Falcons their first lead of the game on a three-point jump shot to bring the score to 5-3.
Back-to-back lay-ups from Orr and Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) gave the Falcons a three-point cushion, 9-6, before four straight points from Orr pushed the hosts lead to four, 13-9. Westfield State's Lauren Legere than cut the lead to one, 13-12, with a deep three from the corner, but Osmond countered back with a made jump shot at the 5:05 minute mark.
Despite the Owls forcing two ties, Albertus headed into the second quarter with a 23-22 lead.
Albertus opened the stanza with a 12-0 run capped by a three-pointer from Sammara Streater (Hamden, Conn.) and a Thompson lay-up to give the Falcons a 35-22 lead. Orr drained a jumper, bringing the Falcon total to 37, before Melissa Gray answered with her own three halfway through the period.
Westfield State chipped away at the deficit and trailed 46-37 at the half.
Westfield State trimmed the lead to 67-66 late in the third quarter and had a chance to take the lead, but the Owls' Taina Slaughter could not connect on a pair of free throws. The Falcons held on to a slim 72-70 lead heading to the final 10 minutes of play.
- Albertus Magnus - 48.6% FG (season-high) | 22.2% 3PT | 58.7% FT
- Westfield State - 28.8% FG | 25.0% 3PT | 51.6% FT
- Albertus out-rebounded the Owls, 83-43, and posted a 35-9 advantage in second chance points.
- Both teams recorded 16 assists.
- Westfield State finished the contest with 34 points off of 40 Falcon turnovers.
- 58 of the Falcons' points were scored in the paint.
- This game saw two ties and seven lead changes.
- Shyla Osmond - 25 points (9-15 FG, 1-2 3PT, 6-12 FT) |10 rebounds | 8 assists | 4 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson - 28 points (10-15 FG, 8-13 FT) | 31 rebounds | 2 assists | 6 block
- Andreah Orr - 19 points (7-9 FG, 5-11 FT) | 22 rebounds | 3 blocks
- Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) - 12 points (2-9 FG, 2-6 3PT, 6-8 FT) | 1 Assist | 4 rebounds | 1 steal
- Chelsea Moussette - 13 points (5-12 FG, 2-8 3PT, 1-2 FT) |5 Rebounds | 7 assists | 7 steals
- Melissa Gray - 16 points (5-16 FG, 2-10 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 5 steals
- Siobhan Moriarty - 10 points (4-12 FG, 2-3 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 1 block
- Isabella Aitken - 11 points (4-14 FG, 3-9 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 1 steal
- Albertus: Rah Rah Thompson (28 points, 31 rebounds) | Andreah Orr (19 points, 22 rebounds) | Shyla Osmond (25 points, 10 rebounds)
- Westfield State: None
- This is the 13th meeting between the two programs.
- The Lady Falcons earned their third program win against the Owls.
- Albertus also snapped a four-game losing streak against the visitors.
- Albertus registered season-high's in five stat categories - offensive rebounds (24), defensive rebounds (59), total rebounds (83), assists (16) and blocks (10).
- Orr, Thompson and Osmond finished with a combined 63 total rebounds.
- Thompson six blocks were a career-high.
The women's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, Dec. 10 with a home non-conference game against Old Westbury. Tip-off is set for 7 PM in New Haven, Conn.