New Haven, Conn. – Seniors Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team both logged double-doubles to guide the Lady Falcons to a 67-58 home victory in its final bout of 2019.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 67 | Mitchell 58
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-2) | Mitchell (4-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Mitchell's Sam McKenna scored the Mariners' first five points of the game to give the visitors an early 5-2 lead 40 seconds into regulation.
Albertus and Mitchell battled through three ties until a jumper from Osmond put the Falcons ahead by two, 11-9, with 4:03 left in the first quarter. Two more Falcon baskets, including a long three-point jumper by Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.), brought the score to 16-11 at the 2:08 mark.
The Mariners stormed back, however, ending the first quarter on a 4-1 run, en route to a 17-15 Falcons' lead heading into the second quarter.
Raposo and the Falcons stormed out in the second quarter, as Raposo nailed her second long three-pointer of the game, sparking a 12-4 Falcons' surge that saw the score rise to 28-19 in favor of the hosts with just over five minutes elapsed in the frame.
With a little under half the period remaining, the Mariners' went on a quick four-point run, cutting the Falcon lead down to five, 28-23. The Falcons quickly retaliated, going on a 9-2 push, capped by a trio of Thompson lay-ups, to take a 37-25 lead into the halftime break.
The Mariners started the second half by cutting the deficit to five, 39-34, with 5:15 remaining in the quarter. The Falcons answered back by putting together an 11-2 run to take a 50-36 advantage with 1:54 left in the third. Freshman Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) sparked the late surge with a pair of 3-pointers.
Lay-ups by Couture and Thompson brought the Falcons up to 52-38, before Raposo ended the period with a short jumper, bringing the score to 54-39 to start the fourth.
Osmond opened the fourth quarter with a quick jumper bringing the score to 56-39. An Osmond steal, sandwiched by Raposo and Thompson lay-ups, gave the Falcons a 17-point lead, 60-43.
With just under five minutes left in the game, Couture drained a long three, before the Mariners finished the day's scoring, going on an 11-0 run, on jump shots by Amina Wiley and Jordan Lohneiss.
- Albertus Magnus - 38.6% FG | 22.2% 3PT | 50% FT
- Mitchell - 34.5% FG | 20% 3PT | 55.2% FT
- This game saw four ties and five lead changes.
- The Falcons won the battle on the boards, 52-41.
- 36 of the Falcons' points were scored in the paint.
- Albertus held an 11-2 edge in second chance points.
- Katherine Raposo - 10 points (4-14 FG, 0-1 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 5 assists | 2 steals
- Shyla Osmond - 14 points (6-11 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-5 FT) | 11 rebounds | 13 assists
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 18 points (9-18 FG, 0-3 3PT) | 17 rebounds | 3 assists
- Cassie Couture - 10 points (3-10 FG, 2-4 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist
- Amina Wiley - 17 points (6-13 FG, 5-9 FT) | 7 Rebounds
- LeSandra Turner - 12 points (3-9 FG, 6-10 FT) |10 rebounds| 2 assists | 4 steals
- Kelsey Hernandez - 7 points (3-8 FG) | 5 rebounds | 2 steals
- Albertus: Shyla Osmond (14 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists) | Rah-Rah Thompson (18 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists)
- Mitchell: None
- Albertus extends its all-time series record to 11-0 against Mitchell.
- The Falcons are 5-0 all-time at home against Mitchell.
- Couture scored in double-digits for the fifth time this season.
- Thompson recorded her sixth double-double of the season.
- Osmond posted her sixth straight double-double.
The women's basketball team returns to the hardwood on Friday, Jan. 3 with a road non-conference showdown against Gordon College. Tip-off is set for 5:30PM.