Wenham, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team saw its eight-game winning streak come to an end as the Lady Falcons fell on the road to Gordon College, 78-69, Friday evening in a non-conference clash inside the Bennett Center.
FINAL: Gordon College 78 | Albertus Magnus 69
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-3) | Gordon (7-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus' early 8-5 lead was quickly erased as a scoring lull hit the Falcons and the Fighting Scots capitalized to turn the tides in their favor, 13-11. Shortly after, the Falcons found their rhythm offensively to pushed their lead to five, 18-13, following a layup from Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) with 1:18 remaining.
Despite back-to-back buckets from the hosts, Albertus headed into the second quarter with a four-point lead, 21-17.
Gordon charged back once again as the Fighting Scots scored nine unanswered points to put the Falcons in a 26-21 hole. Senior Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) broke the scoreless drought for the visitors at the 7:07 mark scoring her second basket of the game on a made layup, making the score 26-23.
With the clock winding down, Gordon remained ahead and led by five, 41-35, at the half.
Out of the locker room, Thompson knocked down a triple to bring the score to 41-38. However, Gordon lengthened its advantage to 11, 58-47, behind 11 points from Sarah Gibbs, five from Meghan Foley and one from Olivia Gagnon.
With 3:02 left in the third, Thompson took matters into her own hands as the senior forward put together a 7-3 run of her own to close the deficit to single digits, 61-54.
Albertus put on the pressure in the fourth and battled back to within three, 69-66, with less than five minutes remaining in regulation. A Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) three sparked the short spurt for the visitors while a pair of made free throws from Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) made it a three-point game.
However, the Fighting Scots did not let the Falcons get any closer the rest of the way as they closed things out with a 9-3 run to lock up the 78-69 decision.
- Albertus Magnus – 36.2% FG | 31.8% 3PT | 66.7% FT
- Gordon – 44.4% FG | 29.4% 3PT | 70.8% FT
- This game saw two ties and five lead changes.
- Both teams recorded 13 second chance points.
- The Falcons outscored the Fighting Scots in the paint, 30-24.
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 20 points (8-13 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-6 FT) | 14 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 blocks
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) - 16 points (5-21 FG, 0-6 3PT, 6-8 FT) | 5 rebounds | 7 assists | 2 steals
- Kyah Nowlin - 11 points (3-10 FG, 2-6 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 block
- Meghan Foley – 30 points (13-21 FG, 2-3 3PT, 2-7 FT) | 11 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Sarah Gibbs - 18 points (4-9 FG, 10-11 FT) | 9 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals
- Albertus: Rah-Rah Thompson (20 points, 14 rebounds)
- Gordon: Meghan Foley (30 points, 11 rebounds)
- This is the fourth meeting between the two programs.
- The Fighting Scots lead the all-time series against the Falcons, 3-1.
- Thompson collected her seventh double-double of the season.
- Albertus is 2-3 on the road following tonight's loss.
- All three of the Falcons' losses are on the road.
- Nowlin registered her third block of the season while Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) posted her second.
The women's basketball team returns to the hardwood on Saturday, January 4 with a road tilt against Salem State. Tip-off is set for 1PM.