Northfield, Vt. - Behind a team-high 15 points from freshman Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) and a double-double from senior Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team earned a 58-40 road victory over Norwich University on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Andrews Gymnasium.
Final: Albertus Magnus 58 | Norwich 40
Records: Albertus Magnus (12-6, 3-2 GNAC) | Norwich (6-12, 2-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Out of a seven-all tie, Albertus built an 11-point edge after the first frame, 20-9, that turned into a nine-point cushion at the half, 25-16, after being outshot by the Cadets in the second quarter, 7-5.
Albertus' Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) scored the first basket of the third quarter as well as ignited a 13-0 scoring run that stretched the visitors' lead to 22, 38-16, midway through the third.
A basket from Caleigh Travers at the 6:17 mark snapped the scoreless drought for the Cadets, but Albertus would head into the final 10 minutes of play with a 46-23 lead. The Falcons' largest lead of the day came at the 1:30 mark of the third as Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) went 1-for-2 at the free throw line after being fouled.
In the fourth quarter, Norwich began the final frame on an 8-2 run to cut the deficit to 17, 48-31, following a jump shot from Travers. Albertus clung to a 20-point distance the rest of the way, but once again Norwich made things interesting as the hosts pulled with 17, 56-39, with over a minute remaining.
Albertus took care of business over the final minute to hang on for the road victory.
- Albertus - 33.9% FG | 32.% 3PT | 62.5% FT
- Norwich - 21.4% FG | 14.3% 3PT | 58.3% FT
- This game saw two ties and two lead changes.
- Albertus dominated on the boards, 54-45, behind a combined 26 rebounds from Thompson and Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.).
- The Falcons outshot the Cadets in the paint, 20-4, as well as held a 14-0 advantage in fast break points.
- Kyah Nowlin - 15 points (5-15 FG, 3-11 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 13 points (5-15 FG, 2-5 3PT, 1-1 FT) | 14 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Shyla Osmond - 12 points (3-9 FG, 1-2 3PT, 5-7 FT) | 6 rebounds | 5 assists | 3 steals
- Riley Bennett - 8 points (2-18 FG, 1-8 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- KristieAnn DeSilvio - 8 points (4-10 FG) | 7 rebounds | 2 assists
- Albertus: Rah-Rah Thompson (13 points, 14 rebounds)
- This is the 27th meeting between the two programs.
- Following today's win, Albertus brings the all-time series record to 11-16 against the Cadets.
- Norwich outscored the Falcons in both the second and fourth quarters, respecitvely.
- Nowlin's double-digit performance was her eighth of the season.
- Thompson collected her 14th double-double of the season.
- Orr was one-point shy of recording her fifth double-double of the year.
The women's basketball team resumes non-conference play on Thursday, Feb. 6 with a road tilt against Dean College. Tip-off is set for 7PM.