FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 21 | Newbury 2
TEEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Newbury (0-4)
New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Courtney Cacace (Brookfield, Conn.) recorded a team-high six goals and seven points as the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team opened the 2017 campaign with a 21-2 triumph over Newbury College on Tuesday evening in the Falcons' home opener.
Following today's win, Albertus Magnus has posted its first-ever season opener win in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus dominated on offense scoring 10 straight goals, including two goals from Nikki Kern (Wallingford, Conn.), Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.), Aida Sarr (Bronx, N.Y.) and Cacace, over the first 15 minutes of play to take control of the game.
Newbury broke its silence at the 12:45 mark as Isabelle Pafford scored on a free position shot following a penalty on the Falcons. Albertus Magnus closed out the first with four straight goals to take the 14-1 lead at the half.
The Falcons continued to control the momentum of the game as Cacace and Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.) extended the hosts' lead to 18, 19-1. During the 5-0 run, Cacace scored three while Pohlig netted the other two.
Isabelle Pafford struck again for the Nighthawks, netting the visitors' second goal of the game with 14:21 remaining. However, Newbury was unable to get a rally going as the Nighthawks fell 21-2 against the Falcons.
- Albertus Magnus outshot the Nighthawks 37-10 as well as held a 28-17 edge in ground balls.
- Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) earned her first win of the season after she netted six saves over 46 minutes of play.
- Grace Vestro (Waterbury, Conn.) also made an appearance in goal for the Falcons and posted two saves.
- Both teams registered eight saves a piece.
- The Falcons posted a 17-8 advantage in draw control wins.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Thursday, March 23rd against Daniel Webster.